Anyone travelling from Shenfield to Colchester?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TGIN

Anyone travelling from Shenfield to Colchester?

Post by TGIN »

Hi everyone

I'm just curious to know whether anyone's DC is doing this route or if this would be considered too far. It wouldn't be a first choice because of the distance but I understand the train journey is about 35 mins. I'm probably more concerned about the journey from the station to the school at the other end.

All comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks
KB

Re: Anyone travelling from Shenfield to Colchester?

Post by KB »

Hi
The journey from the station would add quite a bit of time.
its about 1.5 miles so quite a walk every day
there is a bus that goes all the way but longer route or quicker bus to town and walk
either way its probably up to another 25/30mins in the busy traffic
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Girls or Boys?

My DC's travel on the public buses that go past Colchester North Station and on to CRGS and CCHS. They say you need to aim for a 8am arrival at Colchester North for CCHS and about 8:10 for CRGS to allow time for the bus journey.
TGIN

Post by TGIN »

Thank you both - it would be CRGS
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have you discounted SHSB? Similar journey time Shenfield - Prittlewell, but a shorter walk from the station at the school end (quite a pleasant one, too :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
TGIN

Post by TGIN »

Thank you ToadMum

SHSB is prob 2nd choice after KEGs as we are in catchment but I understand we can now choose up to six schools. Used to be 4 I think. We will go to the open day in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. I see lots of boys en route via Shenfield in the mornings looking very smart in their green uniforms!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

CRGS is so definitely not a viable choice for us for DS2, but something I have often wondered about is - does anyone use Colchester Town station? I appreciate that the trains are not exactly frequent, but the one and only time I have needed to almost visit CRGS (actually a work visit to GP surgery on Creffield Road), the walk from Colchester Town seemed a lot shorter than the times quoted from Colchester (North) to the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

It is closer but the trains that stop there are the issue - apart from route/ frequency it is the slow trains that stop there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now