Info on KEGS 6th form appreciated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pinkins

Info on KEGS 6th form appreciated

Post by Pinkins »

My DS has a potentially difficult decision to make this summer over whether to remain at his current independent or to move to KEGS sixth form (subject to an offer on GCSE results day!) which appears to achieve better results and could possibly challenge him more academically. The decision is difficult because he knows one school so well and the other, KEGS, hardly at all save by its excellent reputation.

We would appreciate any thoughts on the KEGS 6th form, including any from students (or their parents) who joined new to the school in the 6th form.

DS very keen/strong on maths, so any info on the maths department would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
KB

Re: Info on KEGS 6th form appreciated

Post by KB »

If you have a look in the a level section of the post 11 plus forum you will see there have been several general discussions about moving for 6th form in similar situations.

Remember that KEGS is highly selective so it should be getting better results overall.

If your DS needs to be challenged academically then it might well be the best choice but there are issues involved in moving that might outweigh this if is happy where he is. A significant question is whether he can motivate himself and whether the school has staff capable of getting top grades for able pupils (do any get the grade he is looking for without private coaching to get it ?)

Sure some folks with direct KEGS experience will be along soon. If not you might want to re-post on the post 11 plus forum.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote: A significant question is whether he can motivate himself and whether the school has staff capable of getting top grades for able pupils (do any get the grade he is looking for without private coaching to get it ?)
:shock: I wonder how nice Mr Sherrington, the KEGS HT, would take that question?

The apparent lack of lockers for the sixth form would put me off, though. Although if we didn't have excellent sixth forms nearby, that and what for us would be a three-trains-each-way commute would probably seem less of an issue.

From this, you will deduce that I am not a KEGS parent, either - sorry. I did take DS2 there for a 2014 yr7-entry tour this year, though, and although we decided that the journey really would not be worth it, I was very impressed when Mr S said that yes, they do get reasonable numbers into Oxbridge, but what they mainly aim to do (and I do paraphrase a bit here) is help pupils to get to wherever is best for what they want to do :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

I am a kegs parent and DS is about to start VIth form there.

The pros are that the teachers are used to the very bright.

The cons are that they value them less than other schools.

That isn't meant negatively, but be aware that a child who is used to being special will be ordinary at kegs.
KB

Post by KB »

ToadMum wrote:
KB wrote: A significant question is whether he can motivate himself and whether the school has staff capable of getting top grades for able pupils (do any get the grade he is looking for without private coaching to get it ?)
:shock: I wonder how nice Mr Sherrington, the KEGS HT, would take that question?

sorry - didn't make myself clear
the question was of the current school not KEGS and did not imply any criticism of that school since I have no idea which it is! Was a generic question to consider when staying in a school that isn't academically highly selective.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

sorry - didn't make myself clear
the question was of the current school not KEGS and did not imply any criticism of that school since I have no idea which it is! Was a generic question to consider when staying in a school that isn't academically highly selective.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If the OP's DS is likely to well enough to have his offer from KEGS confirmed next month entirely on his and his current schoolteachers' efforts, but the school only does as well as it does (whether academically selective or not very) at A Level through a significant amount of outside tutoring, I would go for KEGS if he is happy to cope with the change. However, if the results truly reflect "the mix of the intake plus perfectly good teaching", (and /) or there is concern about adjusting to a new and different environment, it gets a bit more complicated...

As for tutoring in the GSs, DS1 - just having taken GCSEs at one and hoping to have done well enough to have his offer confirmed at another - says that he thinks there may be a few, but not very many in his year who were tutored at their level. Of course, it may not be much discussed :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Pinkins

Post by Pinkins »

Thanks to all who have posted, certainly things to consider.

DS is very driven, self-motivated, happy to spend a lot of time (even in hols) puzzling over and working through very tricky maths. He wants to apply to Oxbridge for maths and wonders if the greater academic challenge and perhaps being more ordinary (just one of many bright students) at KEGS would help and might prepare him better. However he remembers at the 6th form open evening at KEGS the maths teachers saying how they haven't had too much success with maths applicants at Oxbridge (which surprised us given how many they do get in each year). Current school is academically selective and were successful this year with one place offered at each for maths (although clearly dependent on A level results).

The taster day at KEGS was 1.15 hours long, so he did not get a real feel for the school and this makes his decision more difficult as you are comparing 5 years experience at one and virtually nothing at the other. I guess KEGS have enough applicants so they don't really need to offer a full taster day!

If anyone's DS or DD has experienced the move at 6th form to KEGS, I would appreciate your thoughts on the experience.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now