Tutor for Dyslexia and dysgraphia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cetaylormade

Re: Tutor for Dyslexia and dysgraphia

Post by cetaylormade »

Hi unfortunately (or I should say fortunately) my son doesn't really spend any time on electical gadgets - preferring playing outside (which I'm very thankful for) but unfortunately I don't have that as a reason for his working memory problems.

The school has referred him to CPOC and he's going to see them on 4th September so hopefully she'll be able to help :) - I will let you know how it goes Aracuna Girl. As far as the dysgraphi - they have told me that it is because of him being left handed and that I need to find a handwriting tutor?!! :?
KB

Post by KB »

CPOC should help but you do have to be committed to the exercise regime for it to work properly.
It doesn't take masses of time each day but it does to be done regularly and in a focussed way so can be a drag at times.

If you have older children they can be involved in helping and younger ones can join in with many of the exercises ( as long as they don't progress too quickly and undermine the confidence of the child with the difficulties!)
We had a folder with the sheets in and a tick list as stages were reached - they are quite small steps so you can see positive changes as you go which is encouraging.

The initial testing is quite tiring for the child so try to make sure they aren't hungry, tired, needing the loo etc when they start :)

Hope it goes well.
KB

Post by KB »

oops!
re handwriting -
There is a really good online/ catalogue store that sells quality items for children including equipment, educational toys, games, outdoor toys etc.
They have a section of items to support handwriting so you could try some self help first if you wanted to.
The most helpful item we found was a writing slope - you can buy them or easy to make.
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Thanks kb - really looking forward to cpoc now - will definately commit to it because it undermines his confidence at the moment :cry: so want to help in any way I can. Could you pm me the name of the website please as think that would be brilliant to look at? :D
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

I think too much screen time is bad for any child, but computers are fantastic for children with dyslexia, firstly spell check and also if handwriting is illegible.

I'm sure the dyslexia centre in Chelmsford could help you with a tutor . I am dyslexic and so is my son. I'm lucky as I'm a tutor any way,and being dyslexic helps me to know how to help him. I started tutoring him for the 11 plus but the reading was too hard to do in the allocated time. I would try for a few months and see how he gets on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now