English practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Freddiefox2002

English practice papers

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Hi Everyone,
We have been concentrating on maths as we thought it was my son's weaker area, but he has just tried last year's English paper (2012) and struggled terribly. I am now really concerned as he had been doing pretty well with the English overall. We have worked through a few old papers and he got respectable marks, but are there any other papers we should now buy to work through to help him? I know of one company we are not allowed to mention on this forum, but don't know how comparable their papers are to the CSSE ones.
Any help welcome. Really worrying now and my son is quite down in the dumps abut his chances. If this year's is anything like last year's English, I think we are sunk!
yoyo123

Re: English practice papers

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Essex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These papers are suitable.

Was there one particular area of English he was weak on?
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Hi,
Those are VR papers? He's really good at VR it's the English comprehension practice I want to focus on.
Thanks,
FF
ahap

Post by ahap »

Freddiefox2002,
Practice some Bond 10-11 book 1 at least to help with comprehension, so even if the pattern changes this year she will be comfortable. But it is quite similar to the current pattern.
Practice CSSE English Past papers.
Practice Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar. (approx 20-24 marks)
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

We have a similar problem, we do not worry about VR and Maths but English. We have realised our DS's strengths are in grammar, punctuation and spelling, so have approached each paper with working on these questions first. With many of the papers these questions are high scorers - 10/12 marks - and he works on that first. He then goes back to read the text and commences with the comprehension. As he is so left brained we tell him to look for the clues, some of the questions my be true or false, and the answer will be there in the text for him to find. His marks have dramatically increased since taking this approach, as has his confidence. We are using the majority of English papers you can purchase on this website.. and others I am not allowed to mention.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

For graded comprehension practice these are good:

http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/produ ... ion-book-1
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Freddiefox2002 wrote:Hi,
Those are VR papers? He's really good at VR it's the English comprehension practice I want to focus on.
Thanks,
FF
look at page 3 & 4 there are plenty there.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Essex/?page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Essex/?page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Thanks yoyo123.
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

For some reason my other post hasn't appeared.
Just wanted to say thanks to ahap and Mikedellfarm. I know he did quite a lot of Bond Comps a while ago but will ask his tutor if there's some left in the book that he didn't do. Will also try the other suggestions. Had a look at the maths he did straight afterwards and looks as though he did quite well soar least he down t let it throw him completely for the following paper.
Thanks again
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

If it is any consolation my dd just did that paper as a mock and only got 25/50 :shock: she was doing quite well on english before, completely blew the spellings as well which she is normally good at, think she had a bad day.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein