Just need to

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

Re: Just need to

Post by talea51 »

I am singlehandledly depleting all the gin stocks in the UK, I kid you not!

Mikedellfarm, my husband is completely banned from "helping" dd. He thinks he's helping but he gave her these incredibly complicated mathematical formulae for how to work out angles and he showed her how to subtend triangles and then work out the external angles. Aaaargh it made me want to scream and she just looked at him blankly. She tries hard, bless her, because she doesn't want to disappoint him but at the end of the day she is 10 and she is not studying gcse maths just yet. As a result, he has now been banned.

Araucana girl, I am in the same place as you. Vocab is my dd's failing. She just doesn't have a wide enough vocab and frankly I have no idea what to do about it. If I could mainline the dictionary into her whilst she slept I would but I haven't yet worked out how to do that.

To be fair to her she wasn't aware that appropriate and appropriate are two different words said differently with different meanings but spelt exactly the same. English is a b*gger for that kind of thing, don't you think? How on earth foreigners get their heads around English I will never know. It's mind boggling because there are as many exceptions as there are rules.

aaaaargh!!!! I really need some gin!

Dd is very philosophical about it all. She says that she will do her best and then whatever happens, happens. I commend her for her attitude despite mentally chewing my fingernails!

It's probably for the best that it's me and not her who is panicking!
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Talea51 could you get me a bottle of gin too?

Have just done SD Bright Sparks paper 6 under exam conditions with dd, it isn't the hardest one but in the middle. She got 49/80, her worst score yet, she managed 58/80 on a harder paper two weeks ago.

Went through it with her and she had guessed a whole code section and guessed a whole maths section - she can get 100% on these......

I am starting to lose the will to live.... I am really wondering if I should be pulling her out of the exams, not preparing her for them. I daren't do any more with her today, she just desolves and says that she is letting me down, I keep telling her I just want her to listen to the tips I give her, whatever happens on the day happens.

I really never ever want to do this again, just want to cry :(

We have 22 days until CEM, 29 days until CSSE - there is a line in a Frank Turner song "I don't think I can do this!" I am going to go and play it loudly in the car and get chocolate from the local Tesco Express :wink:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

NOBODY IS PULLING OUT OF THE EXAM ! We've travelled the road this far and we complete the journey.

.. and we never cry in front of our darling children (just over our gin glasses !)
djy76

Post by djy76 »

We are having a day off, currently there is whinging about piano practice...

Mikedelfarm - thanks for the words of wisdom, I was all for pulling DS out. Our English improved yesterday to the heady heights of 40% :oops:

I have decided to have a few days rest - there is only so much I can cope with and in the meantime I am hoping some of our exam hints and tips will have chance to pass into memory so when we restart next Tuesday there is a significant improvement... I can but hope...

At least I have a break for a few years until DC3 goes through this maybe then it will be a completely different process??? :lol:
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

We have just watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid with popcorn , giving up for the day :D

Albert Einstein
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Ah you see, we can do it ! I think we all need a break and to stop beating ourselves up about it.

We have to sit the exams, imagine the "what if we'd tried?" that would echo in our heads endlessly (and stop us sleeping.. and give us more grey hair.. and make us drink more gin.....).. this way we will have the "we tried the best that we could".
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Thanks Mikedellfarm , needed that. Will be so glad when this is all over one way or the other :D Where's my bottle of gin for later, must go and find it1

Albert Einstein
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

I shall bring you back some duty free :P
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Have just found a nearly finished bottle of Bombay Saphire and a practically full Tanquery. Oh happy days!
Better feed and put kids to bed first :D

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

I agree with mikedellfarm! No one is pulling out of this exam! We've come too far and suffered too much to give up now. It's only another month. We just have to be strong for one more month. Then it's done and whatever happens, happens - it's out of our hands!

I just found an almost full bottle of Bombay Sapphire in my drinks cabinet. Yay! I wonder if anyone will notice if I drink gin instead of water for the next month? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dd has been doing freerice, who knows if it's doing any good. I hope something is going in...

We are away for the bank holiday but we are taking papers with us. Can't afford not to, the way dd is going.

I console myself with the thought that this too shall pass. In 3 years time I shall be going through this again with dd2. Oh joy.