Question re CEM exam timing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

Question re CEM exam timing

Post by talea51 »

I am a bit confused by the information we've received from Chelmsford. The timings of the afternoon sitting are that the exam starts at 9 am and pick up is at 11:45 am for the morning sitting. If I remember correctly the afternoon sitting is start at 1:15 pm and pick up at 4:00 pm. I believe I've remembered those correctly. That seems a very long time for 2 45 minute exams. Are they not 45 minutes, is there a long break in between or have I misread the timings.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be grateful. Are there more than 2 papers?

Thanks!
Araucana girl

Re: Question re CEM exam timing

Post by Araucana girl »

talea51 wrote:I am a bit confused by the information we've received from Chelmsford. The timings of the afternoon sitting are that the exam starts at 9 am and pick up is at 11:45 am for the morning sitting. If I remember correctly the afternoon sitting is start at 1:15 pm and pick up at 4:00 pm. I believe I've remembered those correctly. That seems a very long time for 2 45 minute exams. Are they not 45 minutes, is there a long break in between or have I misread the timings.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be grateful. Are there more than 2 papers?

Thanks!
The length of time for the timed sections is 45 minutes so you have an hour and a half of timed sections. There will also be a break for water and biscuit in between. What we do not know is how long there will be between each timed section and whether there will be an example they are given to do first before the timed section begins. This will add on extra time so of about 40 minutes that hasn't yet been accounted for. I would guess each paper is going to take about an hour :D Hope that makes a bit more sense now.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

If it's anything like Warwickshire then each 45 minute (actual exam working time) takes about 60 minutes (elapsed time) because of the sectional timing, and playing the audio instructions, etc.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Araucana girl wrote:The length of time for the timed sections is 45 minutes so you have an hour and a half of timed sections. There will also be a break for water and biscuit in between. What we do not know is how long there will be between each timed section and whether there will be an example they are given to do first before the timed section begins. This will add on extra time so of about 40 minutes that hasn't yet been accounted for. I would guess each paper is going to take about an hour :D Hope that makes a bit more sense now.
If each paper takes an hour that accounts for 2 hours of the 2 hours 45 mins they've said the children will be there which leaves a break of 45 minutes between the two papers which seems extraordinarily long to me. What on earth will they do with the children for those 45 minutes? Several hundred 10 year olds could run riot with 45 minutes on their hands.

Unless they are expecting that the change over between papers will take quite a long time. I would have expected a 20 or 25 minute break between papers but perhaps collecting the papers and handing them out takes more than 15 minutes per paper? Perhaps that is where the extra time goes?
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

talea51 wrote:
Araucana girl wrote:The length of time for the timed sections is 45 minutes so you have an hour and a half of timed sections. There will also be a break for water and biscuit in between. What we do not know is how long there will be between each timed section and whether there will be an example they are given to do first before the timed section begins. This will add on extra time so of about 40 minutes that hasn't yet been accounted for. I would guess each paper is going to take about an hour :D Hope that makes a bit more sense now.
If each paper takes an hour that accounts for 2 hours of the 2 hours 45 mins they've said the children will be there which leaves a break of 45 minutes between the two papers which seems extraordinarily long to me. What on earth will they do with the children for those 45 minutes? Several hundred 10 year olds could run riot with 45 minutes on their hands.

Unless they are expecting that the change over between papers will take quite a long time. I would have expected a 20 or 25 minute break between papers but perhaps collecting the papers and handing them out takes more than 15 minutes per paper? Perhaps that is where the extra time goes?
I would think that it is as you say, a 20 minute or so break and then time taken sitting everyone down, giving out papers, settling everyone down etc for the other 25 or so minutes :D
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein