Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm
Posts: 522
My dd said yesterday that she had a sore throat, she came out of school with a streaming cold and was unable to sleep last night because of it.

Now if Saturday were a normal school day; I would send her to school because she doesn't have a temperature - it is just a cold. However, bearing in mind this is a very important exam, should I send her to the exam or should I not?

I have no idea how badly her performance will be impacted by her cold but I do know that she has to keep blowing her nose every few minutes so that is surely going to use up time that she can't afford to lose in the exam.

What do you think?

If I do decide not to send her, how do I let the school know? I can't find anywhere on their website that states what to do if your child is ill on the day.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 pm
Posts: 17
If it's Latymer, then the numbers and times to contact the school are on the covering letter. I would pull her out as the cold could get worse (may get better of course), but better to be safe than sorry. Hope she feels better soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 496
http://www.cchs.co.uk/ch/content/downlo ... +Guide.pdf

It talks about what to do in a case of illness in this document.

It really needs to be your call on this. She will re sit on 25th Sept if you decide to withdraw her and her results will be a few days later than everyone else's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 am
Posts: 85
Oh talea51 I feel for you. I would wait and see in the morning as she may be fine and what if she has another worse cold on the resit? You can ring in the morning and that way you'll have a better idea as to how your dd is feeling. Good luck x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 pm
Posts: 492
I don't have the letter with me as I am at work but I am sure CCHS have said that their admin staff will be in from 8am tomorrow morning and to phone in if any problems with attending.

I know exactly how you feel - worrying because my throat was a bit croaky this morning and I was snuffling -seems to be subsiding now but have dosed both my children with vitamin C this morning. I really don't want to have to decide whether to send her in or not.

Only you know your daughter and how she is, it is a tricky one.

_________________
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1225
The advice from the schools and the csse in the past has always been that a child should not sit the exam if they are not well and to defer to the second date. They will not do their best if they are not fully fit and the exam staff will not appreciate her coughing and sneezing disturbing the other children.
I dont know if chelmsford do the same, but colchester girls used to require the parents to sign a form on the morning of the exam stating that their DD was fit and well to sit the exam.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm
Posts: 522
Minesatea wrote:
The advice from the schools and the csse in the past has always been that a child should not sit the exam if they are not well and to defer to the second date. They will not do their best if they are not fully fit and the exam staff will not appreciate her coughing and sneezing disturbing the other children.
I dont know if chelmsford do the same, but colchester girls used to require the parents to sign a form on the morning of the exam stating that their DD was fit and well to sit the exam.


Chelmsford have actually done the same and as dd had a temperature this afternoon, I have taken the decision to defer to the second date. The doctor has given her a doctor's certificate so that should be fine. Now let's hope that she is well for the second date and also for the CSSE exam date next Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 pm
Posts: 492
talea51 wrote:
Minesatea wrote:
The advice from the schools and the csse in the past has always been that a child should not sit the exam if they are not well and to defer to the second date. They will not do their best if they are not fully fit and the exam staff will not appreciate her coughing and sneezing disturbing the other children.
I dont know if chelmsford do the same, but colchester girls used to require the parents to sign a form on the morning of the exam stating that their DD was fit and well to sit the exam.


Chelmsford have actually done the same and as dd had a temperature this afternoon, I have taken the decision to defer to the second date. The doctor has given her a doctor's certificate so that should be fine. Now let's hope that she is well for the second date and also for the CSSE exam date next Saturday.


Sorry to hear that talea51 but I think you have made the right decision, I always find things a lot clearer with a temperature, it shows her body is really fighting an infection - she doesn't need the exam as well. I'm sure she will be fine for the 2nd sitting.

_________________
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 am
Posts: 141
It is a horrible decision to be forced to make talea51, but I too agree that it is the most rational & sensible one :| .

We too were frightened as my dd in Essex-Redbridge was beginning to be affected a few days prior to the exam, but recovered in time.

Imagine the situation after the results if u had gone ahead & got worse than what u expected? U may have kicked yourself with a long time of regrets. At least u know that when u take the later sitting, dc is performing at a genuinely representative ability.

As it could have been anyone of us hardworking Dps & dcs, know that we sincerely feel for u :) .

Take care & hope your dc recovers soon.

_________________
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:46 am
Posts: 209
Talea51

Hope your Dd starts to recover, sorry to hear you had to defer.

HD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dixechick1975, KSW7 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016