Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 pm
Posts: 492
Just wondering before I ask them and they deny me any information.

Does anyone know what we will be given with the marks and standardised score on the 15th for CEM? Do we get a ranking, do we get any details of a range for successful scores etc.

Anyone asked already?

_________________
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 324
There is no mentioning of scores or ranking. The admission document only mentioned about results will be sent out on 15/10/2013 and 21/10/2013 for main day and supplementary day respectively.

I personally don't think the school will give ranking since the applicants will not have put the school on their DD's CAF yet but I might be wrong.

I think they would probably encourge the top 400 in catchment and 100 out of catchment DDs to apply! Any thought?

Does anyone know how many DDs sat for the CEM at CCHS last Saturday?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 pm
Posts: 492
dez wrote:
There is no mentioning of scores or ranking. The admission document only mentioned about results will be sent out on 15/10/2013 and 21/10/2013 for main day and supplementary day respectively.

I personally don't think the school will give ranking since the applicants will not have put the school on their DD's CAF yet but I might be wrong.

I think they would probably encourge the top 400 in catchment and 100 out of catchment DDs to apply! Any thought?

Does anyone know how many DDs sat for the CEM at CCHS last Saturday?

I am assuming that they will have to give us some sort of idea of whether dd stands a chance of admission :? Just don't know how - they will have to give us a ranking if they are going to suggest you apply if within the top 400 :wink:

_________________
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4600
Location: Essex
They might as well give you a ranking, as the exam was only pertinent to CCHS. The reason the CSSE no longer gives a ranking is that they now no longer have any idea which school (other than CCHS) one wants to apply to. Also, there is a "history" of CSSE scores, so to speak, so they can give reasonably useful info re previous lowest scores admitted, etc.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 324
Araucana girl wrote:
dez wrote:
There is no mentioning of scores or ranking. The admission document only mentioned about results will be sent out on 15/10/2013 and 21/10/2013 for main day and supplementary day respectively.

I personally don't think the school will give ranking since the applicants will not have put the school on their DD's CAF yet but I might be wrong.

I think they would probably encourge the top 400 in catchment and 100 out of catchment DDs to apply! Any thought?

Does anyone know how many DDs sat for the CEM at CCHS last Saturday?

I am assuming that they will have to give us some sort of idea of whether dd stands a chance of admission :? Just don't know how - they will have to give us a ranking if they are going to suggest you apply if within the top 400 :wink:


They might give a score for each DD and possibily ???rank. The school probably want more that 120 to apply in case not all the top 120 ranked DDs want to attend CCHS come September 2014! So it is probably not a good idea for the school to provide ranking order at this stage. For example HBS in Barnet only split the results into two bands for the 2013 entry. Band A top 300 ranked and Band B all the rest of the candidates. In previous years (pre 2013) ranking was given only on National Offer Day in March and not before the submission of CAF. I suggested top 400 for in catchment because this is a bit less that the actual number of applicants for 2013 entry (I think there were just over 530 applied according to the headteacher). 400 applicants for 96 places in catchment (4.16 applicants per place) and 100 for out of catchment 24 places (4.16 applicants per place) would be plenty for the school. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm
Posts: 522
They may very well give rankings but I am not sure how much use they will be as we still don't know in which order people will put the schools on their CAF. I imagine that there will still be lots of girls who did the CEM exam whose first choice is not actually going to be CCHS for many different reasons.

There is an information afternoon at CCHS which I think might be quite interesting but I think, in the end, the results are going to be useless. My intention is going to be, as it always has been, to put the schools in actual preference order and then wait to see what happens. For us, we are guaranteed our catchment school so - irrespective of dd's scores - I am going to put the grammars first in order of preference and our local catchment school last.

To be honest, it's the approach I would suggest to anyone. You have nothing to lose by listing the grammars in order of your preference because if your dc doesn't get a place, the LEA will just go through your list until they find a school where your dc matches the criteria.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 324
talea51 wrote:
They may very well give rankings but I am not sure how much use they will be as we still don't know in which order people will put the schools on their CAF. I imagine that there will still be lots of girls who did the CEM exam whose first choice is not actually going to be CCHS for many different reasons.

There is an information afternoon at CCHS which I think might be quite interesting but I think, in the end, the results are going to be useless. My intention is going to be, as it always has been, to put the schools in actual preference order and then wait to see what happens. For us, we are guaranteed our catchment school so - irrespective of dd's scores - I am going to put the grammars first in order of preference and our local catchment school last.

To be honest, it's the approach I would suggest to anyone. You have nothing to lose by listing the grammars in order of your preference because if your dc doesn't get a place, the LEA will just go through your list until they find a school where your dc matches the criteria.


You are absolutely right to put the true preference on the CAF. The purpose of announcing the results before the submission of CAF is to prevent applicants with not chance of getting a place to apply, hence not wasting one of their choices on the CAF.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016