When is 2nd csse sitting over?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dez

Re: When is 2nd csse sitting over?

Post by dez »

su1920 wrote:I take that the papers were not easy for all. At least the children/parents I spoke to they found it easy. Too early to predict anything and good luck to all. Either the way you will be relieved on Friday...

Any thoughts on scores required for outside catchment for KEGS?

This is my first experience with 11 plus and I learnt a lot and will share as we receive the results .....
According to informations available on this forum, it looks like at least 370+ is require for KEGS out of catchment?
MacPac

Post by MacPac »

su1920 wrote:I take that the papers were not easy for all. At least the children/parents I spoke to they found it easy. Too early to predict anything and good luck to all. Either the way you will be relieved on Friday...

Any thoughts on scores required for outside catchment for KEGS?

This is my first experience with 11 plus and I learnt a lot and will share as we receive the results .....
In my experience children finding a test easy isn't necessarily a good thing. I personally think it's impossible to say whether or not the test was easy until the results. There could have been trick questions designed to catch the children out. The format of the tests were, after all, slightly different than previous years.
mikedellfarm wrote:Who knows and we can't change the results. DS has asked if he gets a great score can I shake a bottle of champagne and spray him with it - Grand Prix winner fashion !

My post here is shocking, my surname is a D and his candidate number was under 200 and I didn't want his current school to know his result.. so I'll probably find out next Tuesday !

Would it be wrong to buy Aldi champagne ? :P
I think Aldi champagne will be perfect, especially if you're planning on using it Grand Prix style :lol: I have thought about purchasing a bottle but I don't want to tempt fate and I'm not at all confident we'll get good news. Unlike su1920 I think my DS stating the test was "easy" as disastrous! Whenever he's said that before it's always resulted in his lowest ever scores!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

MacPac - I'm with you on that one. DS came out of the second sitting, having been terribly poorly for a solid week with a virus, and said "I think that went well". I happily started the drive home, then he said "but the maths was really hard and I didn't totally finish the last two questions".. ah nearly hit the car in front trying to stay calm. :? He couldn't really tell me what the comprehension text was from .. and said the VR was expected. He's still confident, I have been browsing online for the cost of botox as my wrinkles are looking terrible !
MacPac

Post by MacPac »

The CSSE should include a health warning for the parents in its information pack!
Warning the 11+ seriously increases wrinkles and grey hair

My DS is also confident and I wish I could be too. Part of my pessimism is, I think, down to me not even daring to dream it could be good news. I don't want to get my hopes up. I'd rather believe he's not scored high enough and be proved wrong.
dez

Post by dez »

Easy or not it all depends on the performance of all the DCs! As other members had mentioned, a supposedly easy paper might not be so easy after all. If the paper is easy and everyone did well, the standard deviation will be quite big and one would need to get a very high raw score in order to get a high standardisied score!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 wants us to buy the papers when CSSE starts selling them next February, so that we can see what he had to go through :lol: Knowing our luck, it'll be the reserve date papers they send out, but in that case we will know what one of his friends went through, I suppose.

I have tried not to pry too much about the content of the papers - DS2 has said that one of the VR types he actually enjoys doing (Type??? the ones where you have to work out the number in the brackets from the ones either side) didn't feature in the main paper (???), but did in the entrance test for the King John School, which he and three of his friends took on Saturday.

(Apparently KJS also included several code questions which he just got bored with and just left :roll: ).
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MacPac

Post by MacPac »

ToadMum wrote:DS2 wants us to buy the papers when CSSE starts selling them next February, so that we can see what he hat to go through :lol: Knowing our luck, it'll be the reserve date papers they send out, but in that case we will know what one of his friends went through, I suppose.

I have tried not to pry too much about the content of the papers - DS2 has said that one of the VR types he actually enjoys doing (Type??? the ones where you have to work out the number in the brackets from the ones either side) didn't feature in the main paper (???), but did in the entrance test for the King John School, which he and three of his friends took on Saturday.

(Apparently KJS also included several code questions which he just got bored with and just left :roll: ).
My DS said there weren't any maths type questions in the CSSE exam. He also did the King John VR paper on Saturday. But has barely spoken about it. All he's really said is that he finished it in 40 minutes :x
The Eskimo

Post by The Eskimo »

su1920 wrote:I see that overall most of the children did perform well. My DC did well on all three. I used all my skills to extract as much about papers and areas tested including how he asnwered. Will get to know in 5 days whether these are all true!

On that note the scores will be high this year?
It's still a tad premature to be evaluating the difficulty or otherwise (which is relative anyway) of the papers, isn't it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MacPac wrote: My DS said there weren't any maths type questions in the CSSE exam. He also did the King John VR paper on Saturday. But has barely spoken about it. All he's really said is that he finished it in 40 minutes :x
:shock: :shock: :lol:

Admittedly this was my third King John session (although for the friend I was with, only her first), but when Dr Wilson came into the dining hall to reassure everyone that their DC were all happy and well and getting on with the test, I had to remind myself that there was some reason that we were sitting there other than to have a nice cooked breakfast :lol:

This afternoon, DS2 mentioned that he also finished in 40 minutes, in that that was when he finished the 80th question. Then he went back and did (some of) the ones he had passed over on the way...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now