Question for existing CCHS parents....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Halo

Question for existing CCHS parents....

Post by Halo »

This forum has been really helpful to me in the past, so just wondered if anyone could perhaps help me with a question.

My DD has done better than expected in CSSE 11+ and according to previous cut-offs, would have comfortably got in to Chelmsford High School for Girls (in catchment).

My question is, (dependant on CEM results of course) that when DH and I have been to presentations and Open Evenings at CCHS, the Head has, to put it bluntly, put us off a bit.

We know it's a good school, and logistically CCHS would be so much easier for us, but are there any existing CCHS parents out there who can put my mind at rest?

Thank you!
2 to go

Re: Question for existing CCHS parents....

Post by 2 to go »

We have DDs at ChCHS and WHSG. What are your concerns?
mclm

Post by mclm »

I have one at ChCHS & one at CoCHS. Happy to help.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

I don't know what the OP's concerns are but I think I have similar concerns. Basically at the open evening last year, the head teacher at CCHS gave me the impression (in her talk) that she doesn't really want any of our daughters to go to her school. She pretty much said (to the entire audience) that our daughters probably aren't clever enough to go to her school.

It just came across as though we were the unwashed masses and none of us were good enough. To me, it felt a lot like snobbery and it put me off the school.

The girls who showed us round were lovely. Really lovely girls and if I'd only met them and not heard the head teacher speak, I would have been head over heels in love with the school.

I guess my question is, is this kind of attitude pervasive amongst the staff? Or, have I totally misread what the head teacher was saying.
dez

Post by dez »

talea51 wrote:I don't know what the OP's concerns are but I think I have similar concerns. Basically at the open evening last year, the head teacher at CCHS gave me the impression (in her talk) that she doesn't really want any of our daughters to go to her school. She pretty much said (to the entire audience) that our daughters probably aren't clever enough to go to her school.

It just came across as though we were the unwashed masses and none of us were good enough. To me, it felt a lot like snobbery and it put me off the school.

The girls who showed us round were lovely. Really lovely girls and if I'd only met them and not heard the head teacher speak, I would have been head over heels in love with the school.

I guess my question is, is this kind of attitude pervasive amongst the staff? Or, have I totally misread what the head teacher was saying.
I was there last year as well! What she was trying to say that CCHS is a highly sort after school and only the top 5% of DD will eventually get a place. "She said something like I am sure all the DDs who are going to sit the test will try their best but is their best be good enough" (From memory).
Halo

Post by Halo »

Thank you Dez and Talea.
Yes, I more or less echo what you've said.
The school was lovely. I just came away from the Head's talk feeling like I shouldn't really be applying to this school for my daughter.
I suppose what I'm after is a response from real life parents there, who can tell me I'm being silly, and the reality of being a pupil there is indeed a happy one!
Other Heads' talks (KEGS, SHSG etc..) were more welcoming in feeling.
I stress it was purely the talk by the Head, not the school.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Halo wrote:Thank you Dez and Talea.
Yes, I more or less echo what you've said.
The school was lovely. I just came away from the Head's talk feeling like I shouldn't really be applying to this school for my daughter.
I suppose what I'm after is a response from real life parents there, who can tell me I'm being silly, and the reality of being a pupil there is indeed a happy one!
Other Heads' talks (KEGS, SHSG etc..) were more welcoming in feeling.
I stress it was purely the talk by the Head, not the school.
Halo, that's exactly what I felt too. The school seemed nice, the girls were lovely but the Head made me feel like she was writing my daughter off before she'd even done the exam!
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughter is in the 6th form and I can truthfully say I have not one bad word to say about her time at the school. The head is French, and despite speaking perfect English I think her manner does mean some of her views may be lost in translation. I believe she and all the staff have a tangible fondness for all the girls. She knows all their names, jokes regularly with them in the corridor and has always been very warm and welcoming to me. All the staff got to know my daughter's quirks and passions very quickly and at parents evenings I have often felt some of the teachers know my daughter better than myself.

I am sure there are families who feel differently to us, but each day I thank my lucky stars that we are part of the CCHS family and my daughter is a very happy and successful pupil. Do not be put off by one brusque speech. It is a school which demands very high standards but, in my daughter's case anyway, one which has put everything in place to ensure they are achieved.
ahap

Post by ahap »

To me that speech did not offend in any way, it made me think whether it is the right school for my DD and I knew it was the right school & I felt that if she passed that it will be her school as I knew my DD will be happy & will cope in that kind of environment & its demands. Even though DD has only been there a month, she is happily settled, coping well & found some new friends as well. I also heard that the Head is French. :D I have no words to express how welcoming the Head, deputy, the class teacher, head of dept and all were, they made us feel at ease. They have so many activities to make the children get familiar with the school and their class mates or year groups before they start school as well.
:D
Last edited by ahap on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
KM

Post by KM »

I also have a daughter in the sixth form and can't begin to tell you how much she has loved the school. She has only started Y12 and is already saying that she cannot bear to leave at the end of Y13. The staff are supportive and encouraging and they are incredibly relaxed with the girls (my dd thinks of some of her teachers as her best friends!) I have found the school to be very welcoming, positively encouraging parents to get to know one another and the staff.

I was going to make the exact point that Marigold has that it could be the fact that the head is French that perhaps she has not come off quite as she would have meant.

If your dd has the opportunity to go to CCHS I would grab it!