Question for existing CCHS parents....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mclm

Re: Question for existing CCHS parents....

Post by mclm »

My DD is yr 10. The head comes across as foreboding, but she rightly expects a standard that most girls DO achieve. Without any disrespect to anyone, she's trying to discourage those who get in solely from a long term tutoring approach.
I know the head reasonably well & she is incredibly supportive of the girls, she just wants parents to be very aware of expectations. It is a fantastic school - go to one of the extra curricular events (Christmas concert, etc) if you are not sure & you will always see quality/senior staff visible and supportive.
andyp2012

Post by andyp2012 »

Both of my DDs attend CCHS and I have seen concerns and comments like these raised before. I cannot praise the School, Headteacher or the the staff enough. My girls love the school and the opportunities they get are amazing. They have both made great friends.

I personally have found all the staff very approachable and dedicated to getting the best out of the girls. I had concerns that the girls might struggle being with higher performing children but the school is very careful to bring them on in a non-competitive way. They very much focus on their results and how they will achieve their goals rather than where they rank alongside each other. We get regular feedback on how they are performing against their targets.

Don't be put off.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

andyp2012 wrote:Both of my DDs attend CCHS and I have seen concerns and comments like these raised before. I cannot praise the School, Headteacher or the the staff enough. My girls love the school and the opportunities they get are amazing. They have both made great friends.

I personally have found all the staff very approachable and dedicated to getting the best out of the girls. I had concerns that the girls might struggle being with higher performing children but the school is very careful to bring them on in a non-competitive way. They very much focus on their results and how they will achieve their goals rather than where they rank alongside each other. We get regular feedback on how they are performing against their targets.

Don't be put off.
That's very useful information, thank you. I have heard rumours (from people whose children do not attend CCHS) that there are issues with eating disorders etc because it's such a pressured high achieving environment. I believe this is simply another form of grammar bashing by those who really have no idea what the school is like.

It is useful to hear from a parent who actually has children at the school that there isn't a lot of emphasis on where the children rank against each other and that the emphasis is more on making sure that each child is achieving what she should.

Thank you again!
Halo

Post by Halo »

KM wrote:If your dd has the opportunity to go to CCHS I would grab it!
Thank you so much KM, Ahap, Marigold, Andyp2012, mclm.
I suspect it's what I knew subconsciously, but makes so much difference hearing from the very people who are there.
Thanks once again. Mind you, postman still yet to appear today. :?
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

ahap I agree with you - I thought her speech was lovely - she was reassurring the girls that they can only do there best and if they didn't get in then it wasn't because they failed but that maybe there was a better school for them - it made feel like she really cared for the girls and what was best for them not just academically but pastorally as well. I loved the whole school as did my dd but just don't think my dd has done enough with a score of 111.15 (in catchment).
tommy

Post by tommy »

My eldest daughter just left CCHS for university and loved her time there, my middle one just started and she is loving every moment and coming from a very small primary school I was worried that she would not cope but she is loving it. I understand that that the head can be off putting but you can be rest assured that the children are exposed to a lot of activities and not just academic and this helps to produce a well rounded young lady. I felt the same way last year when I went for the open day but due to logistics we decided to go for the school a second time and so far all seems to be well and dd is enjoying and thriving in her new school
KM

Post by KM »

talea51 - there is definitely no emphasis on where the girls rank against one another. In my experience the girls are quite careful with one another's feelings when they get results. Dd got her GCSE results in the summer and none of her friends told each other what they had got unless asked as they didn't want to brag and didn't want to upset their friends if they had got lower results than themselves. It was very sweet!
andyp2012

Post by andyp2012 »

No eating disorders in my house, you should see my food shopping bill. Never heard such nonsense.
moved

Post by moved »

I echo the positive praise for the school.

The staff, universally, have very high expectations for their pupils. DD has truly thrived there, now yr 11, but not all do, as in every school some are unhappy. When DD did have issues they were dealt with very promptly.
Happy House (not Bleak)

Post by Happy House (not Bleak) »

Our DD is in year 10 at CCHS and we are delighted with every aspect of the school and she loves it. She has lots of lovely friends; none of whom are suffering from any stress related illnesses or syndromes. Before our state school educated daughter sat the 11 plus, aquaintances were quick to say "the school is full of children with eating disorders" or "she'll be self harming by the time she does her GCSE's". Quite frankly, these people were probaly jealous, or had just assumed that a Grammar education meant an unhappy stress related one. The school is such a happy place and the Head does a fantastic job. Mrs Chapman makes it her job to know all the girls names asap and frequently sits with them at lunchtime, asks about their life outside of school and is genuinely interested in them all.
It is not an "academic hothouse". They enjoy many fun events such as house cake competition, house decorated classrooms etc etc
The pastoral care is brilliant and way better than at a nearby independant secondary school, that is now too big and neither does the Head know our other childs name after 5 years! CCHS is a very special place and we are delighted with it in every way.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now