Kegs vs WHSB Choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RWD73

Kegs vs WHSB Choices

Post by RWD73 »

Sorry all but I am new to this forum. Our DS appears to have an option for KEGS and WHSB. We didn't pay much attention to either school prior to receiving results as in truth we didn't dream they would be an option.When the results were received I automatically assumed we would opt for KEGS as rightly or wrongly I was of the understanding that it was allegedly superior. However now having visited KEGS on more than one occasion I have real concerns. I have found facilities to be tatty if I am honest and the sports facilities to be way off what Westcliff has to offer. Whilst sport is not the be all and end all it is important to our son. We would greatly appreciate any insight / views. Have we got wrong impression of Kegs? Are we crazy to consider Westcliff when Kegs is an option??? Help!
ToadMum

Re: Kegs vs WHSB Choices

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 and I went to look at KEGS back in March. We both liked it (and the Head particularly impressed me), but in the end decided that the school didn't really have anything that we didn't have on our doorstep - we are a mile from WHSB and about 2 from SHSB which is our first choice.

I have to say that the thing which concerned me most about the facilities at KEGS was the apparent lack of lockers in the sixth form block, leading to piles of belongings everywhere - good thing for them that presumably no parent being taken round was a member of the Fire Brigade :shock:

However, I appreciate that it is a very good school, and apparently the off-site sports facilities (though very off-site) are excellent. Not at all wishing to put anyone off WHSB, but if KEGS is your "local" GS, I would go for it :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RWD73

Post by RWD73 »

Ok many thanks. If anyone has any experience of Kegs ( or Westcliff) from this years admissions that could assist it will be much appreciated.
FortunateMumof2

Post by FortunateMumof2 »

Hi,

I am in dilemma of kegs or westcliff. When i met with people i thought Kegs would be worlds best school but after reading comments on the forum and google reviews seems like its not. Another point of view is, as time is coming closer feels like its going to be wetscliff for us. Can some one please let me know how WestCliff is different than Kegs? Does it really makes a difference if boy goes to WestCliff or Kegs? Does the kegs boys goes to better university places than westcliff? Does kegs prepare more better for GCSE? Lots of questions. Please help.

A Worried Mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum FortunateMumof2. It might be less confusing to keep your questions to one thread - this is a very old thread so I will look it to avoid confusion.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now