Advice on SHSB waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Slogger

Re: Advice on SHSB waiting list

Post by Slogger »

ToadMum wrote:
aang wrote:Some confusing/conflicting information here. My understanding is as follows, and it may be that I am totally wrong...

For in catchment candidates, a score of 303 is considered to be a pass and all pupils who are in catchment who score 303 or above are offered a place at either SHSB/SHSG or WHSB/WHSG. If the in catchment candidate's score is below 303, then they can be put on a waiting list but it would be highly unusual for them to be offered a place, unless via appeal. I do not know of much movement for in catchment candidates who are on the waiting list.
It hadn't changed last year. 303 was the pass mark - if you didn't get that you didn't get in. It looks like there are still enough i/c places but some people are now being offered second choices which didn't seem to happen last year. I wonder if the enlargement of the catchment area for Southend is now starting to bite? The knock on from more i/c passes from the larger area is of course less places for those out of catchment which drives up those pupils' entry scores. If there's an i/c waiting list at SHSB this year there can only be 25 out of catchment entrants there. I think there were about 30 last year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There are about 36 fewer extra places available this year to be reallocated from I/C to OOC boys, but In-catchment boys being offered WHSG as second choice is going to be purely because the preference this year was skewed towards SHSB. There were 206 in-catchment boys who passed, up from ?170 the previous year and there are 240 in-catchment places for boys between the two grammar schools (125 SHSB / 115 WHSB), plus up to 30 academic places at St Thomas More, 20 mixed at Cecil Jones and 28 mixed at Shoeburyness.

OOC boys will lose out relative to I/C at SHSB, but there are presumably at least 73 places available at WHSB (allocated 39 plus the 34 not needed by I/C boys, not allowing for any who opt for the other three schools).

Just had a look at the Secondary admissions book again - the figures given there for 2013 entry are:

SHSB I/C 100, OOC 50
WHSB I/C 65, OOC 89

Although this was published for the beginning of July, and we do know that there was a small amount of movement after this.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dk2013

Post by dk2013 »

called southend council office today...my son is second on the waiting list oft westcliff and southend with 337.67 marks...hope we get in in one of the schools
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

I guess this is what they call being in limbo.....

Presumably you get contacted by e-mail if you're suddenly 1st on the waiting list and a place comes up ?

In catchment list shouldn't be affected by any late applications surely.

I guess we just wait on the LEA to receive refusals of offers from in catchment and get on to the next on the waiting list.

Drums fingers on office desk and waits...... :|
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not wishing to add to your stress and I doubt it happens much, but there could be people whose DC passed, ranked Tommy More's or Shoebury first, but then decided they really wanted Southend or Westcliff after all...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

ToadMum wrote:Not wishing to add to your stress and I doubt it happens much, but there could be people whose DC passed, ranked Tommy More's or Shoebury first, but then decided they really wanted Southend or Westcliff after all...
Surely if that happened they'd have to go behind those in the list who had SHSB as first choice even if they have a lower score than these mind changing fools ?! :shock:

Well.....we'll see, flipping circus the whole thing ! :mrgreen:
KB

Post by KB »

Sadly, after the 28March the people who have made late applications are slotted in to the waiting list according to their scores.
If you look at old threads you will see much heated debate on the fairness or otherwise of this.
Whatever the rights or wrongs this is the situation as is.
Hopefully, as mentioned above, because of the increased number of choices allowed there won't be many with reason to make a late application.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Jims Dad,

Please remember this text you wrote, you would have taken either school before the allocations put you in WHSB. Once more well done to you and your son and enjoy the moment
I didn't really want to post a new topic just on my thoughts on my DS, but after a week or so of finding out other's results it has dawned on me what a fantastic achievement it was by my DS to pass his 11 plus with no tutoring and minimal school help in truth (in my opinion).

I had really under-estimated the achievement, but hearing about fails by DC who have had the tutoring for ages and were probably thought more likely to pass than my DS have really upped my pride level.

Just wanted to post it....
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

Hopefuldad wrote:Jims Dad,

Please remember this text you wrote, you would have taken either school before the allocations put you in WHSB. Once more well done to you and your son and enjoy the moment
I didn't really want to post a new topic just on my thoughts on my DS, but after a week or so of finding out other's results it has dawned on me what a fantastic achievement it was by my DS to pass his 11 plus with no tutoring and minimal school help in truth (in my opinion).

I had really under-estimated the achievement, but hearing about fails by DC who have had the tutoring for ages and were probably thought more likely to pass than my DS have really upped my pride level.

Just wanted to post it....
Yep...could seem ungrateful for our position I suppose....apologies
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Jim's Dad wrote:Yep...could seem ungrateful for our position I suppose....apologies
It is frustrating and there is no need to apologise, just didnt want to "see" you upset. Good luck.