Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 pm 

Hi there
I wonder if anyone has experience of the best journeys into either of these schools particularly by train. I'm aware there are contract buses too and would gladly hear of experiences using them from shenfield too. But I understand the buses leave very early!

It's so difficult to choose between the schools and wondering whether a decision should be made on ease of transport. Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:38 pm 

From Shenfield the train journey to SHSB would be the easiest - Shenfield to Prittlewell arriving about 0750 then about 15 minutes' walk. No idea about the contract buses to either school (we are local) so there may be one you would feel happier with but personally I prefer public transport for its flexibility. Also, for the train, you can get a discounted Scholars' season ticket (either termly or a more advantageous annual - see http://www.greenrailtravel.co.uk/acatal ... ation.html).

Shenfield to Chalkwell for WHSB is more complicated as they are on different systems; you could do Shenfield - Southend Victoria (a few minutes on from Prittlewell) then get Arriva Bus 29 or First Bus 21 back westwards, I suppose. Both these routes stop directly outside WHSB. You can add PlusBus to your Scholars' season :D

Lots of DC use the train, and the local buses are pretty full with kids from all the local schools at "coming and going" times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm 

The contract bus to Westcliff from Shenfield leaves at 7.25am and returns at approximately 4.35pm.
The pupils who travel by train from Shenfield leave at a similar time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 pm 

Thank you - this forum is excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:16 am 

is there a contract bus from Shenfield station which goes to SHSG?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 am 

No, there isn't. I think SHSG children take the train to Southend Vic from Shenfield and then get a public bus to SHSG.

I think there may be a contract bus from Billericay, but not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 pm 

talea51 wrote:

SBC did try to get a bus running from Billericay to SHSG, but didn't have enough interest. All the girls go by train to Southend Victoria and then bus to SHSG.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm 

mum of boys wrote:
talea51 wrote:

SBC did try to get a bus running from Billericay to SHSG, but didn't have enough interest. All the girls go by train to Southend Victoria and then bus to SHSG.

SHSG has had problems recently with the timing of the Arriva buses in the morning, with girls arriving late for registration (I understand some of the girls have got up a petition about it :)) . Arriva are altering the timetable for their route 1 as of 17th November, which one hopes will make things better http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/South_East/SESD1_171113_300913.pdf