Ipswich schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sleeplessinhalstead

Re: Ipswich schools

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Thanks to everyone for replies, I will be contacting both schools after half term holidays. I had already noticed the mini bus services from both Halstead and Sudbury, so this is just as good an option for us as Colchester schools.
I'm a little worried about the English exam for Ipswich school already as this is my DD's weakness, especially reading out loud and essay writing. :(
KB

Post by KB »

I wouldn't worry. The reading out loud will only come in (if at all) if she gets as far as scholarship interview and then it is only one of many criteria.

The essay writing part of the entrance test is to allow them to be sure the child can keep up in classes so I doubt your DD is below this level. If you are really worried then contact the school to check what NC level they are expecting - presumably you know from current school what level your DD is working at.
The main issue in the test is that she stays calm and writes the best she can - they need enough written to make an assessment! In the past there were options of factual as well as story writing so get her to practice the basics for both.

Do remember that the standard is not the same as for the CSSE exam.

I would also talk to the school so they know the bad experience she had with 11+ so they can look out for her getting stressed on the day. Our experience was that the morning at Ipswich was much more relaxed than the CSSE testing.
sleeplessinhalstead

thank you KB, she is being entered for Level 6 SATS for both English and Maths and is getting extra prep classes for this at her primary school so I guess she can't be too bad, it is just not her strong point. Her primary is doing quite a good job with maths and English and will give her a good reference, her teacher also offered to help with a mock interview. However I feel she is reluctant to take any more exams or do any more practice papers after the 11+ experience, it seems to have damaged her confidence a lot, so nerves may well be an issue on the day (again!).
toolate

Post by toolate »

For the girls school - I understand the test/interview is quite gentle. However there are very few academic scholarships (2 or 3) given out every year. There are also sport/drama/music/art scholarships and the deadline for these is Dec. The academic is just based on the entry test - best results.

Do go an have a look - it is spectacular. Girls are bussed in from miles away and there is no social disadvantage to be quite a way away. The girls seem to love the buses.

Although am hoping to move DD to CRGS for 6th Form...lots of girls to go to the grammars for 6th.
KB

Post by KB »

I think she will be fine with the Ipswich exam and wouldn't do any practice for a bit.
The maths and English she is doing any way should be fine.
For the verbal reasoning I would avoid past papers and gradually introduce say 5 random questions each day not done under timed conditions and do them together to get her confidence back - treat them like puzzles rather than a test.
All you need to do is to keep her hand in with the way of thinking.

As you say the biggest issue is going to be nerves - so a low key approach is best. Any advantage gained from intensive practice will be more than negated by nerves.

I really would talk to the school about the issue so they can make sure she stays relaxed on the day and they can consider her nerves when looking at her papers.
If you don't need her to get a scholarship then make sure she knows that the standard she needs to reach for the Ipswich exam is much lower than the GS test so if she simply does what she does every day in school she will be fine.

!It sounds likes she needs lots of TLC to raise her confidence again and Ipswich is certainly the place to provide it!
sleeplessinhalstead

We have now visited both Ipswich School and Ipswich High School, all I can say is WOW! we loved both of them. They feel completely different, but still can't choose between them. We've taken St Mary's entrance exams too, DD really likes it, but now we have seen the Ipswich schools I'm not so sure. Too many options... does anyone have experience of both? Or perhaps I should apply to both and see what happens, but how many is too many? I'm afraid the primary will not like writing more references and of course it is more exams for DD. But now she has seen them, she wants to go.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Sit them both, see if you are offered Scholarships.. the world is your oyster.. and if DS if keen then it can only be a positive experience. You are in an enviable position. Both Ipswich High and Ipswich School are GREAT schools.. and only you and your family will know the answer to which is best for you all.
sleeplessinhalstead

Happy to have an offer from St Mary's today! We have applied to both Ipswich schools, but DD2 is feeling much more positive now that she has had this offer, she does like the school a lot and we will be happy with it if we don't get offers from Ipswich.
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Ah congrats!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

That is great news, congratulations ! Now what happens in February when you sit there with 3 brilliant offers in front of you ? .. who said this would be easy ?! :D