Dyslexia and Extra support, What has been given in the past?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Good3boys

Dyslexia and Extra support, What has been given in the past?

Post by Good3boys »

I wonder if anyone is willing to share their experience of the extra support allowed/granted by CSSE for children with dyslexia during the 11+ exam?

The lady at CSSE was helpful and stated you should put in requesting for additional support, time, overlays, scribes extra as deemed necessary by medical experts, just wondering if they are truly considered.

Appreciate you reading this and hopefully replying too :D

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Dyslexia and Extra support, What has been given in the p

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Certainly, when ds1 took his 11+, his hand was bandaged up and they put him in a small room where there was someone who could page turn for him (which he didn't use). In that room, some kids had papers that were photocopied in large print, most had extra time etc so yes, I think if it is your child's NORMAL way of working at school, and is supported by evidence and/or medical reports, they do take it seriously and try and facilitate as best they can.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

A friend's daughter did the CSSE paper this Sept. She is dyslexic but does not have a statement although she has a diagnosis and a report from an eductional psychologist. This information together with the request for extra time was put in writing to the CSSE. As far as I know, she was granted extra time and she did her exam in a separate room.
KB

Post by KB »

When DS took the 11+ it was made very clear that extra time would not be allowed for the papers under any circumnstances so I would be surprised if that was now allowed but it has been a few years.

What the certainly will organise are coloured or enlarged papers - but do sort it out in plenty of time.

They can be allowed a scribe. For Maths and English this would be for a physical issue eg broken arm and is not necessarily helpful in less than extreme cases as the child has to dictate everything in detail - spelling of each word, punctuation etc.

For the multiple choice paper you can have a scribe to enter the answers if you have evidence ( eg EP report) that they have a significant problem with tracking etc

As far as the extra time goes - they can be allowed a longer break if they need this eg those with dyslexia may get more tired by the papers.

I would make contact asap with what you think your child needs and find out exactly what evidence will be needed so you have time to get it organised.

We found everyone very helpful but obviously they need to know each case is genuine.
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

talea51 wrote:A friend's daughter did the CSSE paper this Sept. She is dyslexic but does not have a statement although she has a diagnosis and a report from an eductional psychologist. This information together with the request for extra time was put in writing to the CSSE. As far as I know, she was granted extra time and she did her exam in a separate room.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but did they pass? Feel free to pm me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now