Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:39 pm 

Hi everyone, interested in your thoughts, or PM, on what material is best to now use to prep a child currently in Year 4. I gaze at all the masses of material I bought for my son who sat the exam in 2013 and am just unable to work out what is best to use, or what should go on the fire.

I understood the previous paper and the structure, I am lost now, as I am sure are many others. Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm 

To be honest the familiarisation paper doesn't look as different from the past papers as I'd feared so DS (Year 5) is still using a lot of the stuff I bought for DD (2011)

I'm having to be a bit creative about the creative writing part ('scuse pun) and I'm doing about half as much VR prep time as I did with big sis plus some Bond NVR for good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

push-pull-mum wrote:
To be honest the familiarisation paper doesn't look as different from the past papers as I'd feared so DS (Year 5) is still using a lot of the stuff I bought for DD (2011)

I'm having to be a bit creative about the creative writing part ('scuse pun) and I'm doing about half as much VR prep time as I did with big sis plus some Bond NVR for good luck.

Yes-that's what we're doing. It's fun trying to think up ideas for the continuous writing practice! As the one in the familiarisation paper was quite simple/familiar to them-I think the real thing will be along these lines, too. That was describing an animal-it could be food/a person/place/day out? Erm..!? It's certainly shown up how appalling DD's spelling is :lol:

Can I ask which Bond NVR did you buy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 pm 

Just drawn up DS2's contract .. as we call it.. a light hearted Hobbit themed agreement that he will work happily and positively for 80% of the time on all his 11+ stuff.. and detailing the rewards he will glean. (I won't bore those without Lego obsessed Hobbit boys as you will all slip into a coma). Seems real now.. oh dear.

Last edited by mikedellfarm on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 pm 

Manana wrote:
Can I ask which Bond NVR did you buy?

Currently on 10-11+ book one - didn't really know what to choose but DS is enjoying it much more than any other part of his 11+ prep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm 

mikedellfarm wrote:
Just drawn up DS2's contract .. as we call it.. a light hearted Hobbit themed agreement that he will work happily and positively for 80% of the time on all his 11+ stuff.. and detailing the rewards he will glean. (I won't bore those without Lego obsessed Hobbit boys as you will all slip into a coma). Seems real now.. oh dear.

He he! I remember doing this with DS! DD and I have drawn up a timetable together that she is happy with, but she has clearly forgotten about the rewards element! How are you doing the rewards-little things after each session or building up to something big? DD is desperate for a Furby-I might use that knowledge in future!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm 

Furby's are amazing, they really have stood the test of time, just like Dickens work ! I remember buying one over 20 years ago as a gift and the recipient still thinks I am amazing !

DS2 has to work from say start of 1/2 term to end of Easter hols and gets £20. He gets £2 pocket money a week if he does all his chores happily also. He will then get £20 for end of Easter hols to end of summer 1/2 term.. and so on. He also asked for a particular Lego set if he beat his brother's score. It really is a typed up contract in a Hobbit style that he will sign and put his little wax seal on.. worked a treat with DS1 as when it all went wrong he went and read it and reminded himself.

Both DS1 and DS2 also asked for experiences/events to be included as reward points - such as a whole Saturday with Mummy on our own. Not to spend money but just 1:1 fun time, or going fishing etc.

Working towards the 11+ is really tough, the children are so young, they have their school work, activities, sports, music, clubs and so on. It is very difficult to fit it all in and I really am not against plain, simple bribery to keep my DS focused.