This is the week!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Essex Girl

Entries from London pupils, etc

Post by Essex Girl »

I think the general opinion on this site seems to be that grammar schools should be open to all children, from all backrounds and types of schools. Therefore, they should be open to children from anywhere in the country. In theory, you can of course apply to any school you like so there is nothing to stop an Essex parent applying for the Royal Latimer in London, for example.

However, I agree that it is a bit weird to have a situation where parents from an area where there are selectives choose to add Essex selectives to their list too. How many choices do London parents have, though? I have heard it is 6. In Essex we have four, in Southend I think it is 5 and in some parts of the country it is only 3. I have to say that, considering the fact that the system is supposed to be centralised across the nation, I consider that parents should have the same number of choices. This does not appear to be the case.

Changing the subject, today is allocation day and I offer sympathy to those of you in a state of "waiting". I found it to be one of the most awful feelings I have ever had the displeasure to experience, last year and my stress was barely calmed even with a nice glass of wine.
At least you will all feel a little calmer once the allocations and then the results are in, because you will be in a position to think clearly about the next move, if necessary.

Some of you will be absolutely thrilled with good news over the next couple of days and others of you will be mortified. Having eperienced both feelings, my heart really goes out to those in the latter category because it is so hard to have to tell your child that the answer is "no".

It is surprising how easily children do come to terms with their lot. In our case, where older siblings were in grammar and the younger sibling did not make it, it was so hard not to make younger sibling feel bad but, fortunately for us, most of said siblings friends were not going to grammar anyway.

For those of you, and it may particularly apply to those who have children in some of the private schools, where the children going to grammar may be a majority, if your child does not make it, the best tip I can give you is to ensure that they understand that gramars are a very particular type of school and that in life we all have different talents. For many, these talents do not appear until later and not getting into grammar school does not make them less special or less able than peers who have got it.

My thoughts are with you all.
ziggy

success!

Post by ziggy »

Good news in our house! My son got offered Kegs today (because we live on the Herts side of the border we had the results by email option via herts LEA). Very pleased as we genuinely didn't think he would get it and especially because we didn't really have a plan b and couldn't afford private. When he told us that he left 3 maths questions blank on the exam day we feared the worst, but he felt he did a good VR paper and that must have made the difference. I hope you all get something thats acceptable to you when the letters arrive. Whatever happens remember that we all did our very best as did our children and any failure lies with the education system not with us or them! Good luck to one and all and thanks for your advice on this site over the past few months.
Essex Girl

KEGS

Post by Essex Girl »

Many congratulations to your son (and of course you) Ziggy

Post by Guest »

My daughter got into Chelmsford County High School for Girls - found out this morning. We are so proud of her!
Mums the word

Great news for us too

Post by Mums the word »

Anonymous wrote:My daughter got into Chelmsford County High School for Girls - found out this morning. We are so proud of her!
My daughter opened her letter after returning from school, and also got the great news that she has a place at Chelmsford County High.

So we are so proud of her too!

So sorry boasting it is not normally our style, and sorry for the ones that did not get their 1st choice or there letter yet. Good luck!

Re: Great news for us too

Post by Guest »

Mums the word wrote:
Anonymous wrote:My daughter got into Chelmsford County High School for Girls - found out this morning. We are so proud of her!
My daughter opened her letter after returning from school, and also got the great news that she has a place at Chelmsford County High.

So sorry boasting it is not normally our style, and sorry for the ones that did not get their 1st choice or there letter yet. Good luck!

Well done to your daughter! Funny to think they will be starting there together in September!

Re: Great news for us too

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Mums the word wrote:

Well done to your daughter! Funny to think they will be starting there together in September!

Thank you, congratulations to your daughter too!

Post by Guest »

I thought I'll revive this thread from last year as it seems fitting.

Good luck to everyone this week!I hope it's the results you have all been waiting for. :)

Post by Guest »

[/i][/b]I second that!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

We are awaiting Friday's envelope, like everyone else, but I'm certainly not feeling 'excited' about it (as one earlier post said)!
My daughter attends an ordinary state primary school, where they do no preparation for the 11+. Although we did our best to provide lots of practice papers for her, we feel so aware that it 's at least five years since a girl from her school gained a place at a grammar school (Colchester is the only town it's practical to travel to from where we live, so it's there, or nowhere!). I think I remember reading somewhere that 50 percent of the places at the grammars will be gained by those who've been at independent schools - so, even though our daughter is consistently top in her own (well respected) primary school, I can't help feeling all the odds are stacked agianst her. Am I being overly pessimistic??