Creative writing vs continuous writing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pg19

Creative writing vs continuous writing

Post by pg19 »

hello people,
In the new csse pattern of 11plus exams, there seems to be continuous writing for 20 marks.Is it different from creative writing?
Pg
Daogroupie

Re: Creative writing vs continuous writing

Post by Daogroupie »

Continuous writing is creative writing in a particular style. The applicant is required to continue the story of the comprehension passage. There has been a big move towards this in recent years as it prevents applicant from being able to learn stock characters, events and phrases and then just dump them into any story. They have to use what is there rather than what they have revised. Applicants are required to then think rather than just reproduce what they have been taught. DAO does this style with no choice, both North London Consortium papers did this with no choice this year and Habs girls also did it but with an option to write a letter instead. Has CSSE provided you with an example? DG
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Thanks Daogroupie for explaining it.Yes Csse has given out a familiarization paper and the continuous writing examples were 'how to prepare a jam toast' or 'write about favourite animal'.What is the best way to approach it as together 2 of these are for 20 marks and are for 15 marks? plaese pm me if you have any sample papers or examples or ideas.Thanks and all help appretiated.
http://www.csse.org.uk/csse%20New%20con ... 4-1-14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pg
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Oh, sorry, that is not continue the story then. I think they are using the term continuous writing to distinguish it from short comprehension answers. Will you have a choice between two like the examples? I would choose the "Write about your favourite animal" as you will be able to use almost the full range of literary techniques for that one. I will pm you. DG
pg19

Post by pg19 »

thanks DG.i ll wait for your pm.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In the familiarisation paper, the requirement is foe "5 or 6 sentences" on each of the two topics, for a total of 15 marks (out of 60 marks total for the whole "English" paper).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now