Current Mock test scores....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pushymother

Re: Current Mock test scores....

Post by pushymother »

Thanks Talea,

The only area on the mocks that was all wrong had to do with playing cards. The reason we put her into some mocks this week was to see where we need to improve the next 6 months........

Maybe we can play p o k e r (it edited the word!) for the fun part of Easter term :lol: :lol: :lol:
ahap

Post by ahap »

talea51 wrote:
It was, if (and it's a big if) 143 is the theoretical maximum that one could score on the paper and not the highest mark scored. If it was the highest mark scored but the theoretical maximum was higher, then the percentage will be lower but going with 143 being the theoretical maximum then I think that around 75% is about right for in catchment.
Huh? In layman's terms please...
I can't remember anything I studied, its been more than 15 yrs you see. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ahap on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

ahap wrote:
talea51 wrote:
It was, if (and it's a big if) 143 is the theoretical maximum that one could score on the paper and not the highest mark scored. If it was the highest mark scored but the theoretical maximum was higher, then the percentage will be lower but going with 143 being the theoretical maximum then I think that around 75% is about right for in catchment.
Huh? In layman's terms please...
I can't remember anything I studied, its been 15 yrs you see. :mrgreen:
Percentages for scores are calculated by taking the mark you obtained divided by the maximum mark available and multiplied by 100. So if 143 is the maximum available on the CEM paper in 2013, ie the score is "out of" 143 then to calculate the percentage you divide the mark obtained by 143 and multiply by 100. From the information we have the cut off mark was around (107.82/143)*100 which is 75.39%.

However, the information that we don't have is whether 143 is indeed what the exam was "out of". If it's not, and the exam was "out of" a higher mark, then the cut off percentage will be lower. Just taking an arbitrary figure as an example, if the exam was "out of" 150 then the cut off mark would be (107.82/150)*100 which is 71.88%.

We can only work with the information that we have though, so I have assumed that 143 is the maximum that anyone could have scored.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Oh I see...Brilliant, thanks.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

I am not convinced that 143 is the maximum that could be scored I think it is the top of the range obtained, otherwise on the same basis they would not have said that scores ranged from 50 to 143 they would have said that the scores were from 0 to 143. Just seems a funny number to be a maximum although I suppose it could be as the scores are standardised.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Araucana girl wrote:I am not convinced that 143 is the maximum that could be scored I think it is the top of the range obtained, otherwise on the same basis they would not have said that scores ranged from 50 to 143 they would have said that the scores were from 0 to 143. Just seems a funny number to be a maximum although I suppose it could be as the scores are standardised.
Agreed. It is very tricky to extract any useful information from what we've been given about CEM. It's all best guesses really.
aang

Post by aang »

There is next to no information on CEM scores for CCHS. I suspect, but could be totally wrong, that scores are standardised with 100 being the mean. If this were so, we have no idea what kind of percentage scores translates to a qualifying score. Other areas in England which use CEM, eg Birmingham suggest scores tend to be much lower than 75%. However with no passed papers or any real information, it is anybody's guess...As parents and teachers often say, just do the best you can..
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

The CEM practice papers that are available are out of 175.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but someone clever may know the answer! I'm concerned since dropping the verbal reasoning paper how my son will fare. He's way better at Maths than English Comprehension. How much percentage wise would he need to score on the English paper to be in with a chance for KEGS if he scored high on the maths one? I guess it all depends what he scores on the maths one due to the overall standardised score but would a 75% score on both be enough? If so if he got 85% on the maths and 65% on the English, would that give him the same standardised score as if he had scored 75% on both?
This change is really worrying me :roll:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

so if he got 85% on the maths and 65% on the English, would that give him the same standardised score as if he had scored 75% on both?
Put simply no it won't. The two papers are standardised separately. Unless the average score and the scores distributions are the same for both papers, which is very unlikely, then it is not that simple. If for instance, everyone finds the english paper much harder than the maths, then 50% may get a standardised score of 100 in English whereas 75% could be required for the same standardised score in maths.
I believe there is a page explaining standardisation on this site somewhere.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now