2014 Junior Maths Challenge at SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

2014 Junior Maths Challenge at SHSB

Post by ToadMum »

Bit of a long shot here, but if there is anyone out there whose DS is in the Tuesday lunchtime JMC group at SHSB, do you know what time on Thursday they will be sitting the paper, please?

DS2 comes in from his primary school for the sessions, but despite prompting form me, all I have heard about next week is that there is no session on Tuesday so the next time he is expected to be there is Thursday 1st May - but not at what time :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aang

Re: 2014 Junior Maths Challenge at SHSB

Post by aang »

I don't know about SHSB but the Junior Maths Challenge is taken first thing in the morning across the country on Thursday 1 May 2014. It is usually taken by pupils in year 7 or 8. If I were you, I would double check with the teacher running the club that your DS has been registered and where your DS is expected to be present first thing in the morning (probably a large hall to cater for the large number of pupils sitting).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thank you for this :) . The teacher confirmed a few weeks ago that they were entering him along with the SHSB boys - and took an entrance fee from me :lol: . I shall try calling again tomorrow but if no response we shall just turn up at 8.30am on Thursday. I was going to do a 'trial run' on the bus with him sometime soon in preparation for September, so it may as well be this week.

DD, who is in year 8 at SHSG, announced on Friday that she, too, will be taking the Junior Maths Challenge, although she was even more vague about the details than DS2. Apparently her information had come not from her maths teacher but from a friend in another class, who told her that they had been told that everyone had been entered for it. I guess both she and we will find out on Thursday...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

My son is in Y7 at SHSB and doing this, too. All I know is that he has been told he will be doing it this Thursday and didn't know anything about a Tuesday club so obviously hasn't been going to that. I haven't been asked to pay a fee either!??

He's been given a paper with answers to look at before then.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We have now been told room N7 at 12 sharp (so the poor year 8, whose mum no doubt had warned him about people like me :lol:, whom I accosted on Pavilion Drive yesterday morning, was sort of correct when he said he thought it was in the afternoon). Office had sent me an email last week, apparently - only I never got it!

Tuesday club has been run each odd week by Mr Q - it is on the calendar as Junior Maths Challenge (qualifiers) I think - and how DS2 got there is a bit of a tale... The payment is because he is from outside; the school pays for their own pupils.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat May 03, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Ah, that makes sense! Which school is your DS at? I don't know who Mr Q is either-that's not DSs maths teacher, I don't think.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Manana wrote:Ah, that makes sense! Which school is your DS at? I don't know who Mr Q is either-that's not DSs maths teacher, I don't think.
DS2 is at Darlinghurst; thought the 'Pavilion Drive' might have been a giveaway there to locals but I didn't add that I came across the SHSB lad just as we were going in to school, I suppose :). We are actually in catchment for Chalkwell, but I'm afraid they failed to impress back when we were looking for a school for DS1. The other two we looked at made much more of an effort to tell us why they were proud of themselves and how they hoped that we would agree, and Darlinghurst beat North Street to it with an offer by a couple of weeks, this being back in the dying days of having to apply to each school individually. But I digress...

'Mr Q' is Mr Quarcoo (with profound apologies to the gentleman if I have managed to mis-spell his name, probably 'again' :shock: ).

Strange child, I think DS2 is really looking forward to the JMC tomorrow. I have a feeling that his sister is still not sure whether she has actually been entered for it or not!
Manana

Post by Manana »

DS said there was a boy with a red jumper in the room today from a different school-I guess that'll be him!

Sorry-I would have got the school but missed the bit about him still being at primary and was thinking Belfairs or Eastwood!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-compe ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will put today's paper on here if you are interested.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have DS in year 8 ( not SHSB) and another in year 6 both of whom took it today. DS in year 8 is terrified that his younger brother will do better than him!! :lol: This could be interesting...