2014 Junior Maths Challenge at SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: 2014 Junior Maths Challenge at SHSB

Post by Guest55 »

It is an interesting competition because some of my best mathematicians don't score well but others can surprise you!

It does not necessarily pick out the children you would expect ... good enough comment for you if the worst does happen Twinkle?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have already primed DS2with this thought which I think I read in a post you made a few years ago (thank you for your wise words). I fear that DS3 may fall into the category of very good guesser :lol: . Whereas DS2 is naturally a much better mathematician.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Twinkle wrote:I have DS in year 8 ( not SHSB) and another in year 6 both of whom took it today. DS in year 8 is terrified that his younger brother will do better than him!! :lol: This could be interesting...
:lol:

DS2 left out questions 12, 24 and 25, apparently; DD (year 8, only discovered for certain that she was sitting the paper when they were taken off to do it at 2.30pm) seems to have decided against answering at least twice as many questions :roll:. We shall see...
Manana wrote:DS said there was a boy with a red jumper in the room today from a different school-I guess that'll be him!
Sure was :D

The whole thing obviously exhausted him as he was fast asleep by the time DD and I got home from cricket coaching this evening.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aang

Post by aang »

The JMC papers are an excellent reflection of the innate mathematical ability of a child. The first ten or so questions are relatively straight forward but then they get progressively harder. You have to read the question carefully and they are kind of fun - well worth trying for yourself :wink: ... You also lose marks for incorrect answers to the last ten questions so you cannot really guess your way to a top score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

innate mathematical ability
Sorry I disagree - I have post doc maths students that never got on with the UKMT style of questions but they are clearly extremely able and are currently following new lines of research.

It seems to require a certain type of maths ability .... I can predict most results but every year there is one student that will surprise me.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD not very happy tonight as SHSG have told the girls their results and she 'only got a Bronze' :shock:

Actually, I'm not particularly :shock: personally, given the number of questions she decided not to answer...

Anyone's DS at SHSB got their results this week? I have been "flying around" all day so sent the school an email this morning to ask (DS2 not actually being a pupil there yet!), but no-one had got back to me by the end of the day :(
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

ToadMum wrote:DD not very happy tonight as SHSG have told the girls their results and she 'only got a Bronze' :shock:

Actually, I'm not particularly :shock: personally, given the number of questions she decided not to answer...

Anyone's DS at SHSB got their results this week? I have been "flying around" all day so sent the school an email this morning to ask (DS2 not actually being a pupil there yet!), but no-one had got back to me by the end of the day :(
My son got gold but he did it through Great Baddow High School who come into his primary school each week to teach the most able mathematicians.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Good morning StephiB and congratulations to your DS! DS2 is just itching to know how he did, now that he knows that the results are out. I wish now that I had made time to phone the school yesterday, but I guess now he will just have to contain himself until after half term.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Both DD and DS2 now have their results - DS2 happy to have done well enough for Gold but not well enough for the Olympiad. DD a little despondent at her Bronze but perked up a little when she was told at school that she had got an A" for a piece of creative writing (DH didn't really ask her whether she was making that up :lol: ) and had come 7th in her year for Science. DS2 is also good at English but not keen on Science, so I think they are currently quits 8)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Ds1 has been told he missed the Olympiad by 1 mark, so he's not happy, but dd is over the moon with just scraping a gold..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now