Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:27 am 

Hello all,
With May kicking in so quickly, the panic has started.
I thought i will check with other mums/dads of DS sitting this year for 11 plus,how far are they with prep?
What books are you primarily using for comprehension?looking at the standards in the past what book do you feel is closer to the real papers?what is a decent percentage to get in english paper ,to give hopes for superselectives?
Also have you come across papers having similar format: comprehension,applied reasoning and creative/continuous writing or doing it separately?
anyone used/using http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reasoning-Compr ... 621635,for csse?any feed back?
all comments appreciated. :)
pg

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:53 pm 

Many views but no replies. Any suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 am 

Hello
Panic has set in in our household too. I've been rather complacent lately. I'm still on a high and focusing on DS1 who starts SHSB this September. How close the 11+ is for DS2 has really hit home this week.

I feel lost at the moment. The changes have ruined my prep plans! I was confident I knew what I was doing after DS1 was successful but now I don't have a clue. We're using Schofield and Sims book 5, Bond 11-12 and past CSSE papers for maths. I'm contemplating buying the First Past the Post Numerical Reasoning books to add another dimension as maths is his strongest subject. For English we're using Bond English11-12, Bond comprehension 10-11 and 11-12, past CSSE papers, CGP books (11+ and general English books), First Past the Post comprehension and writing our own continuous writing pieces. I have lots of other English books we dip in and out of but these are our main sources. English is not a good subject for my DS2! The comprehension he makes up his own answers trying to be clever rather than pick pieces from the text and don't even get me started on his spelling haha.

I have that CGP book, it's ok. Not any different from their English and verbal reasoning books. Their CEM papers are quite good for using to make up your own papers though.

ETA - I've just given DS2 the 2015 CSSE English familiarisation paper and he got 32/45. I've not marked the continuous writing because it's so subjective I'm going to argue with my husband over it later haha. DS2 is currently sat at his desk doing the maths paper.

MacPac