Local Transport Options to WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
abraham

Local Transport Options to WHSB

Post by abraham »

Hi Everyone,

Just started investigating transport options from Thundersley to WHSB, and finding it all quite confusing TBH! We know what bus to get, as No. 21 passes the bottom of our road - but really confused as to what bas pass to go for. Should we go for a first bus pass, octopus, consortium etc.? Some of the bus company info online is conflicting, and it looks at first reading as if purchasing through the consortium is more expensive? Haven't even caught a bus for years! Any tips/advice from others would be most appreciated!

Many thanks!
ToadMum

Re: Local Transport Options to WHSB

Post by ToadMum »

Consortium transport passes only apply to the services organised by them, not public services. I would go for the Octopus pass (and will be for DS2, travelling from Leigh on Sea to SHSB). That way your DS has the option of other routes home if necessary as it covers all First Bus, Arriva, Regal Busways (route 3 not a million miles from you) and Stephenson's routes in the area. Therefore also very useful for social and other trips outside the school run :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
abraham

Post by abraham »

Oh my goodness ToadMum, I have just logged in (back here for DS2 now!) - and realised I never replied to your very kind response nearly a year ago! You are probably not on here anymore but, if you are, sorry . . . !

(DS1 is now happy (ish!) and settled at WHSB - and loves his Octopus pass very much! - hope your DS is happy and settled too)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

abraham wrote:Oh my goodness ToadMum, I have just logged in (back here for DS2 now!) - and realised I never replied to your very kind response nearly a year ago! You are probably not on here anymore but, if you are, sorry . . . !

(DS1 is now happy (ish!) and settled at WHSB - and loves his Octopus pass very much! - hope your DS is happy and settled too)
No, I'm still here, doing my bit for public transport :lol: . DS2 has had a good year at SHSB so far, thanks (and also making good use of his Octopus!).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
abraham

Post by abraham »

[quote=

No, I'm still here, doing my bit for public transport :lol: . DS2 has had a good year at SHSB so far, thanks (and also making good use of his Octopus!).[/quote]

Excellent, you should be on commission! Glad your DS2 is enjoying SHSB - I notice SHSB is a v. popular choice again this year (which will be most handy for me if the trend continues, as DS2 now wants to follow in his big brother's footsteps to WHSB!) Do you have any more DS/DD's to go? I am just about to start with DS2, and then DD after that . . . (phew!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No offers from Arriva or First, but we are about to get some M&S vouchers from a double glazing company after I pm'd a picture of our recently installed windows to another forum member who has now booked the company to do theirs!

DS2 is the youngest of three, so no more to 'move up'. The other two are at SHSG, or at least DD is still there; DS1 has finished his A2 exams and will be off to Birmingham in September (unconditional offer) to read Biochemistry :) .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have just noticed a letter on the CSSE website saying that from September, instead of 'one shot, point to point' passes First Bus will be introducing passes which give seven day travel on all their commercial services in term time within the relevant geographical zone. Not quite an Octopus, but does give more flexibility than the current Consortium arrangements.
abraham

Post by abraham »

ToadMum wrote:No offers from Arriva or First, but we are about to get some M&S vouchers from a double glazing company after I pm'd a picture of our recently installed windows to another forum member who has now booked the company to do theirs!

DS2 is the youngest of three, so no more to 'move up'. The other two are at SHSG, or at least DD is still there; DS1 has finished his A2 exams and will be off to Birmingham in September (unconditional offer) to read Biochemistry :) .
LOL - enjoy those vouchers, you've earned them :wink:

And well done you on supporting all three children through the 11-plus - though I bet it's nothing compared to the stress of UCAS applications . . . !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Haha! Actually, UCAS was easy from our point of view, since DS1 and the school did it all between them - all I did was part with the £23. Oh, and traipse round half a dozen universities, imparting words of wisdom on such subjects as en-suite shower rooms, really no need for when you've never had one and are unlikely to have one in the foreseeable future afterwards (actually he agrees with me on that one)...
abraham

Post by abraham »

ToadMum wrote:Haha! Actually, UCAS was easy from our point of view, since DS1 and the school did it all between them - all I did was part with the £23. Oh, and traipse round half a dozen universities, imparting words of wisdom on such subjects as en-suite shower rooms, really no need for when you've never had one and are unlikely to have one in the foreseeable future afterwards (actually he agrees with me on that one)...
LOL Count yourself lucky he showers ToadMum! :wink: