Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am
Posts: 32
Hi Everyone,

Just started investigating transport options from Thundersley to WHSB, and finding it all quite confusing TBH! We know what bus to get, as No. 21 passes the bottom of our road - but really confused as to what bas pass to go for. Should we go for a first bus pass, octopus, consortium etc.? Some of the bus company info online is conflicting, and it looks at first reading as if purchasing through the consortium is more expensive? Haven't even caught a bus for years! Any tips/advice from others would be most appreciated!

Many thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4604
Location: Essex
Consortium transport passes only apply to the services organised by them, not public services. I would go for the Octopus pass (and will be for DS2, travelling from Leigh on Sea to SHSB). That way your DS has the option of other routes home if necessary as it covers all First Bus, Arriva, Regal Busways (route 3 not a million miles from you) and Stephenson's routes in the area. Therefore also very useful for social and other trips outside the school run :)

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am
Posts: 32
Oh my goodness ToadMum, I have just logged in (back here for DS2 now!) - and realised I never replied to your very kind response nearly a year ago! You are probably not on here anymore but, if you are, sorry . . . !

(DS1 is now happy (ish!) and settled at WHSB - and loves his Octopus pass very much! - hope your DS is happy and settled too)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4604
Location: Essex
abraham wrote:
Oh my goodness ToadMum, I have just logged in (back here for DS2 now!) - and realised I never replied to your very kind response nearly a year ago! You are probably not on here anymore but, if you are, sorry . . . !

(DS1 is now happy (ish!) and settled at WHSB - and loves his Octopus pass very much! - hope your DS is happy and settled too)


No, I'm still here, doing my bit for public transport :lol: . DS2 has had a good year at SHSB so far, thanks (and also making good use of his Octopus!).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am
Posts: 32
[quote=

No, I'm still here, doing my bit for public transport :lol: . DS2 has had a good year at SHSB so far, thanks (and also making good use of his Octopus!).[/quote]

Excellent, you should be on commission! Glad your DS2 is enjoying SHSB - I notice SHSB is a v. popular choice again this year (which will be most handy for me if the trend continues, as DS2 now wants to follow in his big brother's footsteps to WHSB!) Do you have any more DS/DD's to go? I am just about to start with DS2, and then DD after that . . . (phew!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4604
Location: Essex
No offers from Arriva or First, but we are about to get some M&S vouchers from a double glazing company after I pm'd a picture of our recently installed windows to another forum member who has now booked the company to do theirs!

DS2 is the youngest of three, so no more to 'move up'. The other two are at SHSG, or at least DD is still there; DS1 has finished his A2 exams and will be off to Birmingham in September (unconditional offer) to read Biochemistry :) .

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4604
Location: Essex
Have just noticed a letter on the CSSE website saying that from September, instead of 'one shot, point to point' passes First Bus will be introducing passes which give seven day travel on all their commercial services in term time within the relevant geographical zone. Not quite an Octopus, but does give more flexibility than the current Consortium arrangements.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am
Posts: 32
ToadMum wrote:
No offers from Arriva or First, but we are about to get some M&S vouchers from a double glazing company after I pm'd a picture of our recently installed windows to another forum member who has now booked the company to do theirs!

DS2 is the youngest of three, so no more to 'move up'. The other two are at SHSG, or at least DD is still there; DS1 has finished his A2 exams and will be off to Birmingham in September (unconditional offer) to read Biochemistry :) .


LOL - enjoy those vouchers, you've earned them :wink:

And well done you on supporting all three children through the 11-plus - though I bet it's nothing compared to the stress of UCAS applications . . . !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4604
Location: Essex
Haha! Actually, UCAS was easy from our point of view, since DS1 and the school did it all between them - all I did was part with the £23. Oh, and traipse round half a dozen universities, imparting words of wisdom on such subjects as en-suite shower rooms, really no need for when you've never had one and are unlikely to have one in the foreseeable future afterwards (actually he agrees with me on that one)...

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am
Posts: 32
ToadMum wrote:
Haha! Actually, UCAS was easy from our point of view, since DS1 and the school did it all between them - all I did was part with the £23. Oh, and traipse round half a dozen universities, imparting words of wisdom on such subjects as en-suite shower rooms, really no need for when you've never had one and are unlikely to have one in the foreseeable future afterwards (actually he agrees with me on that one)...


LOL Count yourself lucky he showers ToadMum! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016