Are you bothering with Captain Corelli or Longitude?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Are you bothering with Captain Corelli or Longitude?

Post by Manana »

I remember reducing DS to tears with both of those past papers and them not really acheiving much other than scaring him and frustrating me!! The more recent CSSE papers have been far more user-friendly (actually-Grandma Smallweed was a bit horrid, too, but DD has done that one!).

Is it worth the pain and stress!!?
moved

Re: Are you bothering with Captain Corelli or Longitude?

Post by moved »

Longitude is a totally useless and unreliable paper. It gives no indication of success / failure in the 11+. It was an appallingly badly produced paper with a 50/50 chance of getting the answer correct.
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:Longitude is a totally useless and unreliable paper. It gives no indication of success / failure in the 11+. It was an appallingly badly produced paper with a 50/50 chance of getting the answer correct.
Thank you for your reply, Moved. I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that. Can I ask your views on Captain Corelli or the Tess papers-I know you tutored for quite a while so probably have formed an opinion?
moved

Post by moved »

I'm happy with both of them. Tess is jolly tricky but it is a good predictor of future success. Just don't worry if the scores are low. The system has changed a lot since then though and there is at least some assessment of English now :D
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:I'm happy with both of them. Tess is jolly tricky but it is a good predictor of future success. Just don't worry if the scores are low. The system has changed a lot since then though and there is at least some assessment of English now :D
Thank you-I will give them a go! I do think the last few texts chosen have been a lot 'nicer' -do you think they realised they had been choosing horrible ones?!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now