Advice re marking.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Advice re marking.

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not going to waste my time on this tutor-obsessed forum
The forum was actually created to support DIY which is what you did. As a GS teacher I spot the 'over-tutored' and, yes, they will struggle and need additional help. Schools provide lots of free help sessions so I've never understood why more tutoring should be needed.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ICParent wrote:I did let my daughter's natural ability get her in.

I trusted that she could do it, her teacher didn't push her, we went to her and asked if she thought she was able. She said yes, we gave her some familiarisation tests and applied.

My opinion will count for very little but that's how the GS system should work, I'm not going to waste my time on this tutor-obsessed forum. Spend your money, help them with additional tutoring. Do what you want, you've squared with yourself and that's who is important after all, nothing i say will change your mind; why should it?
Well, if you feel you need cheering up - there are others out here like you :) - we have three children in GS who were all told firmly by us that they had to prove themselves capable on their own merits of getting a place. Or not, as the case may be. To be fair, the eldest was treated to 3 months' worth of online VR practice - I mean I paid for three months' use of the site, not that he actually availed himself of it for much of that time - and the others to a few practice papers. In some posters' eyes, I know, that is exactly the same thing as sending one's child to a tutor for several hours a week plus homework; we tend to feel there is a bit of a difference, but ho-hum.

DS1 passed the CSSE test with a score in the mid-340s, DS2 just under 379. In between, their sister failed, but retested for in-year entry later. She is now in year 9, top set for Maths and came 7th in the year in Science last term. The only tutoring she has had was six weeks of me going over the GS's year 7 German curriculum in the summer holidays last year, as the comprehensive school she had attended didn't start German until year 9.

DS1 possibly does a bit more at school in the way of work than he does at home - at least I hope so :roll: ; he has just gone into year 13 having achieved 5 As at AS.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ICParent

Post by ICParent »

OptimisticMum, you make it sound like the world would stop for your child if they didn't get in, if you're going to pay for ongoing tutoring why is it so important to get to GS?

The slow erosion of the GS ethos has brought us here, you're only doing what you feel is best for your children. I suppose that's to be commended seeing as we hear horror stories of parent apathy and neglect. It's not how it should be though and to hear people say that their child is getting time off school for 11+ preparation really got to me. I know plenty of friends' children who are not tutored and have done very well.

I can't believe that the teaching at CCHS isn't sufficient enough to allow my daughter to gain exceptional grades, she has to work hard. We all worry about our childs' education, I wanted her to go to CCHS because she was able to cope with the workload and expectation of a school like that. If she didn't make it then it wasn't for her and we would have gone with our second choice, we didn't do the CSSE test.

Pretty old-fashioned outlook I suppose amongst the cutthroat world of 11+, tutoring and status.

I'll shut up now, everyone has a right to their opinion. Good luck to all the children this year.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

ICParent wrote:OptimisticMum, you make it sound like the world would stop for your child if they didn't get in, if you're going to pay for ongoing tutoring why is it so important to get to GS?

The slow erosion of the GS ethos has brought us here, you're only doing what you feel is best for your children. I suppose that's to be commended seeing as we hear horror stories of parent apathy and neglect. It's not how it should be though and to hear people say that their child is getting time off school for 11+ preparation really got to me. I know plenty of friends' children who are not tutored and have done very well.

I can't believe that the teaching at CCHS isn't sufficient enough to allow my daughter to gain exceptional grades, she has to work hard. We all worry about our childs' education, I wanted her to go to CCHS because she was able to cope with the workload and expectation of a school like that. If she didn't make it then it wasn't for her and we would have gone with our second choice, we didn't do the CSSE test.

Pretty old-fashioned outlook I suppose amongst the cutthroat world of 11+, tutoring and status.

I'll shut up now, everyone has a right to their opinion. Good luck to all the children this year.

ICParent, glad to see you resurrected.

The world would not stop for my child if they don't get in. I did say in my earlier message that we try (and by God we will succeed) but if we don't, we move on to the next thing, but try we must! and continuous hard work goes on every blessed day. I was raised with that ethos, that you continuously learn and keep ahead of the game.

It is not that I disagree totally with what you are saying about natural brilliance, I am saying we no longer live in that world. I wouldn't just wake and go for a job interview without taking time off work to prepare (that's just me perhaps..?) The competition is much fiercer than that and I am NOT going to take a chance and find out the hard way. The ethos of the grammars has eroded badly and as a result of this I won't be a sitting duck. I am in the know (somewhat) and as such I will help my kids and any other kid who dares to ask for help. I DO IT WITHOUT CHARGE. No parent would look the other way when their dc is in need of support...at least I hate to think they wouldn't...hmmm :?

You are not here, surely to change my mind, and I certainly am not trying to change yours! So no scoring of points, no squaring with myself or acknowledgement of self importance as you kindly mentioned. Just making a statement regards what is going on out there.

With regards to the teaching at the grammars, I will tell you this, that not all of the four arms of the 30 kids get the same level of teaching. It has been brought to my attention that some of the teachers are brilliant and some are barely marking the homework, losing student books, being off sick (cant be helped) and the list goes on. so when you measure one arm against the other, it is clear to see why some classes will need more support (yes, I know, we are not supposed to mention these things as ALL Grammars esp the super selectives are meant to be problem free).

ICParent, you knocked it on the head when you said "everyone has a right to their opinion".

With 3 more days to go till Kent (and we are still at school, today tomorrow and Friday), I truly wish you all the best. It's not over until it's over.

Optimisticmom
ICParent

Post by ICParent »

Some minds have to be changed because it can't carry on like this, the schools are identifying it as an issue but still people are doing it. It's a way of life now.

I do think you're merging two things; parents who are dedicated to their child's education with home help, structure and support and children who are tutored into a GS and need constant tutoring to keep up.

We don't need luck anymore, my DD started CCHS last week. Good luck to you though.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

ICParent wrote:Some minds have to be changed because it can't carry on like this, the schools are identifying it as an issue but still people are doing it. It's a way of life now.

I do think you're merging two things; parents who are dedicated to their child's education with home help, structure and support and children who are tutored into a GS and need constant tutoring to keep up.

We don't need luck anymore, my DD started CCHS last week. Good luck to you though.
Well, thank you ICParent, I personally don't believe in ladyluck myself but hardwork and divine favour from above.

Congratulations on your DD getting into CCHS. Awesome news!! No doubt she will do awfully well!!

I like your point though. There is indeed a difference with a fine line in between. It's a bit difficult to quantify support. I know someone in CCHS, passed her GCSE's in flying colours - you know the type, 13 A stars etc. Way back then, she sat the 11 plus with no help at all...sheer natural brilliance! Her position was between 1- 10. Competition was no where near what it is now. But guess what....as she went through the years in CCHS, we found out that she had help in the name of science, math and language tutors. Would she have survived without them? yes indeed but her parents wanted better. So yes indeed ICParent, it is more a way of life than you can ever imagine. Peeps don't just want "great" anymore, they want the best. Who can blame them??

Contrary to popular belief though, I'd like to believe I fall into the category of those providing help, structure and support and I'm sure you beg to differ but we have flogged this donkey dead...lol!

Optimisticmom

I admire the way you keep bouncing back though :D
Last edited by optimisticmom on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

Schools provide lots of free help sessions so I've never understood why more tutoring should be needed.
That may be true in the private sector, but most state schools are not allowed to provide additional support for 11+ candidates.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

MmeOgg wrote:
Schools provide lots of free help sessions so I've never understood why more tutoring should be needed.
That may be true in the private sector, but most state schools are not allowed to provide additional support for 11+ candidates.

This quote was referring to tutoring in secondary school I believe.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now