CCHS Waiting (and waiting) list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sleepless of Chelmsford

CCHS Waiting (and waiting) list

Post by Sleepless of Chelmsford »

DD is on the waiting list. On Tuesday 9th March I phoned to be told that she was 9th and no places had been offered from the list. Friday she was 8th and 2 places had been offered! I was told that another DD had been placed in the list above! We are (or were yesterday) yoyoing around 8th. Weighted score of 339.964. Any idea if she stands a chance of getting in? Older sister is there already.......

During one of my many calls to the admissions team I was told to appeal and that there had been one successful appeal last year. Any idea of the grounds? The admissions info published suggests that of the 6 appeals last year none were successful.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Having a sibling there could be good grounds for appeal i would think :) Why dont you post in the appeals section on here and see what advice you get.
KB

Post by KB »

I think if you check the admissions criteria there is no sibling policy. I think you would need pretty outstanding reasons to have a successful appeal.
I would ask why someone had jumped ahead of you on the waiting list though - seems very unusual for these schools - they normally stick pretty much to the 'order of merit'.

Hope your DD gets there in the end!
moved

Post by moved »

The waiting list can be jumped by someone changing their first choice school. For example, someone could have put Westcliff first and decided that it was worth the travel to go to CCHS.
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

moved wrote:The waiting list can be jumped by someone changing their first choice school. For example, someone could have put Westcliff first and decided that it was worth the travel to go to CCHS.
I didn't think it was possible to change your school choices after the closing date in November. :?:
darkane

Post by darkane »

Southend Admisstions have allowed us to add ourselves to waiting list for Westcliff but not until 1st April.
maymum

Post by maymum »

darkane wrote:Southend Admisstions have allowed us to add ourselves to waiting list for Westcliff but not until 1st April.
Yes this can be done.....but it is a bone of contention for those who are already on the waiting list and did actually put it down as a preference!!!! It does seem a little unfair that you can change preferences after 1st April when you did not consider this school on your preference form in the first place, it could mean the your DS could just the list of those already waiting...... :(
darkane

Post by darkane »

I can see that it must be annoying but we didn't put WHSB down because we couldn't manage journey but now I have a job in Rayleigh and it seems manageable. And yes, we probably will displace someone else because his score is 332.702 but he is 28th on the list for CRGS so we don't think he'll have any chance there but will probably get into WHSB. When the choice is that or a sink comp what would you do?
maymum

Post by maymum »

darkane wrote:I can see that it must be annoying but we didn't put WHSB down because we couldn't manage journey but now I have a job in Rayleigh and it seems manageable. And yes, we probably will displace someone else because his score is 332.702 but he is 28th on the list for CRGS so we don't think he'll have any chance there but will probably get into WHSB. When the choice is that or a sink comp what would you do?
darkane....I will just have to hope my S gets offered a place before 1st April because after that he will go down the list :( Just feel upset with the system not yourselves. We chose our preferences very carefully taking into account travelling and its costs, our jobs and whether it was feasible at all so we did not have to change our preferences later on and thankfully got offered a brilliant comp (one of my preferences) whilst being put on the waiting list for WHSB. I've accepted that and not about to change my preferences just because we did not get offered a Grammar. I repeat its the system that is unfair.......
Sillysocks

Post by Sillysocks »

The system only seems to work like that in Southend borough, because I tried to add dd to Colchester list in the manner discussed, but she is top of the second waiting list...

Westcliff is one and a half hours on the bus, so I do not think a viable option.

Yes it is all unfair, but it has worked against us too as dd scored better than anticipated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now