Is anyone else feeling the stress?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ladygala

Is anyone else feeling the stress?

Post by Ladygala »

Now that we have the candidate numbers from both CCHS and the CSSE - I'm starting to feel really panicky! My DD has worked do hard over the last few months, having just been DIYed by me. I just hope that she has a good experience at both events and that we've done enough. She's a good kid, and has never moaned about doing the extra work, even when I used to get frustrated with her making silly mistakes, or 'just not getting it'. She's not the one who gets top marks in anything, and even now she's averaging 70% in all her tests. Having spent the best part of the year reading this forum I'm not feeling too confident ( not that I would mention it to her) as apparently most DCS seem to achieve 80-90%. Anyway, feeling a bit emotional, and was looking for some good vibes from my fellow Essex mums. Good luck to all the kids who have embarked on this journey. Remember to tell your kids how proud you are of them- i don't do it enough. LG
Mrs Sinatra

Re: Is anyone else feeling the stress?

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

I have felt panicky but I'm feeling really philosophical now (that may change).

Don't worry, my child has not been scoring 80-90% regularly. Her marks are all over the place! From 29% to 82%. Does that make you feel better? I veer between thinking she has a good crack at this to 'what are we THINKING?'.

Some days she is so fast and skilled I think 'yes she'll be fine'.

Then she throws me curve balls like saying "what's 2x8?"

Hugs to you. It's all rather more intense than you think isn't it? It will all be fine in the end.
Ladygala

Post by Ladygala »

Thank you so much Mrs S. We have just both been in tears tonight- she tried a Bond test but made so many basic mistakes that I lost it. I ended up shouting at her as we'd been through ratios and areas of triangles a million times! She burst into tears and I felt terrible. Brought home to me that she is still a kid - my kid- and if anyone else had made her cry then I would have killed them. I had an epiphany at that point and it has changed my mind set. She is my beautiful, lovely daughter and she will sit these exams. If she gets in to GS, then she did it on merit. If she doesn't, then she is still my little girl who I will support wherever she may end up. In the fog of past papers, CEM, forums, DIYing, scores etc, I had lost sight of why we were doing this, and ultimately who would be the one actually doing the test. I can see clearly now... ( I can feel a song coming on!)
Phoenixgreen13

Post by Phoenixgreen13 »

Hi, in my house it is my husband who is stressed and stressing everyone out. Waiting Ito start an argument with everyone, upsetting our other daughter. He has been shouting , ranting and raving and sometimes bordering on emotional abuse. I try to keep informing the girls that it is all stress related and we love them and we will also work harder for their future no matter what. So be patient and keep ur self well. Good luck.
Ladygala

Post by Ladygala »

Phoenixgreen13 wrote:Hi, in my house it is my husband who is stressed and stressing everyone out. Waiting Ito start an argument with everyone, upsetting our other daughter. He has been shouting , ranting and raving and sometimes bordering on emotional abuse. I try to keep informing the girls that it is all stress related and we love them and we will also work harder for their future no matter what. So be patient and keep ur self well. Good luck.
I hear you, mate. My husband is keeping out of it, which then makes me feel resentful and unsupported! Roll on 20th, so that we can all get back to normal again!

Take care and thanks for your support.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I can't wait for it all to be over either whatever the outcome. I've already booked my DS's treat for all his work. He wanted to go to a computer game expo thing so he has tickets for that for the following Sat. As for me I'm going to be sitting down in the eve of 20th with a VERY stiff, large drink or three :lol:
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Phoenixgreen13 wrote:Hi, in my house it is my husband who is stressed and stressing everyone out. Waiting Ito start an argument with everyone, upsetting our other daughter. He has been shouting , ranting and raving and sometimes bordering on emotional abuse. I try to keep informing the girls that it is all stress related and we love them and we will also work harder for their future no matter what. So be patient and keep ur self well. Good luck.

Awwwwr Phoenixgreen13 hang on in there as this too shall pass. It is indeed very stressful, simply because we want the best for our kids and when we don't see the results that should equate to effort we put in, we get all knotted up inside and just want to scream aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh! Hang tight as all good things do come to an end, you are not alone with the husband thang.....hmmm!

Optimisticmom
mumof2girls

Post by mumof2girls »

Having gone through this last year (DD now settling in at CCHS) and now prepping DD2 for tomorrow, I am quite philosophical. DD2 is only just 10 whereas DD1 was already 11 when she took the tests, I do think that is making a difference and she is definitely not as consistent - one time she will get 90% and then next 50%! I think with her it will just depend on the day and at least she has 2 chances. But...although obviously I would love her to join her sister, if she doesn't pass then you do have to feel that it wasn't meant to be and not the right thing for your child. She does feel under more pressure because she is following in DD1's steps (and yes, my husband is putting the pressure on too!) but she is a different child and if she is meant to go to GS then she will pass, if not, then we still love her and are proud of her and I will hide my disappointment and enthuse about the local comp (which is great, btw!).

I remember seeing a girl going into the Chelmsford exam last year crying on the way with her dad basically strong arming into the hall and I thought nothing is worth that! They can only do their best and our children are all worth more than just their academic success, even though I know first hand what opportunities GS can bring, it is not the be all and end all.

Good luck to your all DDs doing CCHS tomorrow, and girls and boys doing 11+ next week - be proud of them whatever the outcome.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now