Westcliff and Southend Boys' Schools - Required Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Westcliff and Southend Boys' Schools - Required Results

Post by ToadMum »

pushymother wrote:I think the only way they can mark the writing is by splitting in up into very specific sections like the writing SATs, eg
Sentence struction and punctuation-1 mark for ***, 2-3 marks awarded if you see ****, maximum of 4 marks for xxxxx.
Text structure and organisation
etc etc

I just can't see how else they could do it to make it fair?
This being from the mark scheme for the sample paper - my bolding - I would assume the same:

Continuous Writing 15 marks
This will be marked as one piece of work and the candidate will be assessed on accuracy,
spelling, punctuation, the quality of writing and originality.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I would not like the job of marking 4000 pieces of writing and ensuring consistency of marking across 10 schools. They can't risk candidates sitting at CRGS being marked more harshly than those sitting at WHSB or vice versa. I believe all papers are marked in-house at the school where the candidate took the test. Hopefully there will be a rigorous moderation process otherwise there will be appeals and remarks galore.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Blitz wrote:I would not like the job of marking 4000 pieces of writing and ensuring consistency of marking across 10 schools. They can't risk candidates sitting at CRGS being marked more harshly than those sitting at WHSB or vice versa. I believe all papers are marked in-house at the school where the candidate took the test. Hopefully there will be a rigorous moderation process otherwise there will be appeals and remarks galore.

I didn't know they were definitely marking them in house-interesting. They will obviously have to use a mark scheme that is so specific-ie a possible 1, 2 or 3 marks being awarded for punctuation, eg
0 marks= full stops not correctly used
1 mark= full stops/capitals used consistently
2 marks= commas for subordinate clauses, ?!"" And possessive '
3 marks for 2 or more of -():;/

So it's fairly obvious. I suppose, unless you miss out two full stops but have used possessive apostrophes and colons and dashes accurately?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now