MFL GCSE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ahap

MFL GCSE

Post by ahap »

How can one with a 4c at the end of yr 8 could get help to do GCSE French at the end of yr 9? Would the teachers help them to get to the standard and if so what is the standard expected of them in yr 9 please. And if helping at home would BBC bitesize help? Or would the workbook provided by the school suffice? I think it is AQA that they will be doing.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Re: MFL GCSE

Post by Guest55 »

I would ask the school why they are sitting GCSE in Year 9 first! Early entry is really not advised any more ...
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Bonkers! The way an MFL is taught these days doesn't exactly encourage pupils to understand the mechanics of learning a language, so going from 4c, which is quite low for the beginning of Year 9, to GCSE in one year is not really doable. They would need to have a much wider range of vocabulary and a knowledge of the past, present and future tenses to stand a chance of getting grade C. What is the child like in other subjects? I would kick up a fuss; it's insane!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ahap, do you mean studying French and choosing it as a gcse option (or compulsory gcse) at the end of year nine, for the gcse course in years ten and eleven?

Should this be the case, then:

The course books, grammar books and languages on line will help him through, he probably won't set the school on fire with his result, but should pass.....not dissimilar to my year nine boys expectations. (Not everyone "gets" French)
marigold

Post by marigold »

Is your son at KEGS?

They all do French or German in year 9 and then another language from year 9 to year 11 ( or an AS level in the original language ). In year 7 they have French 8 days a fortnight and very similar I think in year 8. My son entered year 7 without a word of French and ended up with an A and I think out 112 pupils only a very few got a B. Last year an entire class got A*, so they are doing something right. I wouldn't worry, there is fantastic support including sixth formers helping out in pre school session when controlled assessments are due in. We printed off all the course requirements from the AQA site which was a great help with vocab.
He is doing Mandarin as his second language, others are doing Russian, it is a school which takes language tuition VERY seriously.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I am in a junction at the moment and want to know all possible info regarding this MFL GCSE. Thanks all.

The results last year from old school. (Comprehensive).

Unit 1 listening 4a, Reading 4a, writing 4a Total 4a

Unit 2 ............5b,..............4c, ................... Total 4a

Unit 3.............5b,...............5c,.............4b.....Total 5c

Unit 4 ............5b,...............4a..............4b.....Total 5c

Yr 8 exam........5b................4c..............4c.....Total 4c

This was the result for French in yr 8.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Has the child moved to a school with better results?

I've never worked in a school that puts pupils in for exams at the end of Year 9 so I have no idea how it would go about getting them up to the required standard. I would ask the school how they would go about this with a pupil on 4c. The levels didn't consistently go up - it happens - and there are no marks for speaking. It could have been the teaching; perhaps there was a change of teacher. Or perhaps the later units were more difficult. What I'm trying to say is that you need to have a chat with someone in the department who can explain better than we can how they intend to proceed.
moved

Post by moved »

Ask the school how they expect to get a child from equivalent to E/F to A/A*. Some of DS' friends at KEGS got grade C. They were the first year to take the GCSE early.
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

My DS is now in yr 10 at KEGs and did his French GCSE in yr 9. However another student in his class who joined the school at the end of yr 8 was not required to sit it and will do it in yr 11 instead. It would not be in the schools best interest to put a child in early entry if they do not have a realistic chance of getting a good grade. I'm sure the school would look very carefully at the predicted and current attainments before entering any child for a GCSE early. Speak to the teacher and find out what they realistically expect your child to achieve. If you're not happy find out if there are any other options such studying till year 11.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thank you everybody, G55, KS10, SB3, marigold & moved.
I will do just that if it comes to that. Bizziemum, your post gave me more confidence to make a decision if a situation arises. So, so happy now... :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now