Percentages required?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thylacine11

Re: Percentages required?

Post by Thylacine11 »

50- 55 % is the figure bandied about on this forum for in catchment grammars in Southend.

Yes I think it's fully possible that scores of 32/60 might gain a place. It's a tough test and many children will get far less than 50% . This forum is probably not representative of the full range of the cohort and scores posted here will typically be the higher ones.

It's all relative, maybe the maths test was easier this year with more high scores than usual but standardisation should sort that out.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thylacine11 wrote:50- 55 % is the figure bandied about on this forum for in catchment grammars in Southend.

Yes I think it's fully possible that scores of 32/60 might gain a place. It's a tough test and many children will get far less than 50% . This forum is probably not representative of the full range of the cohort and scores posted here will typically be the higher ones.

It's all relative, maybe the maths test was easier this year with more high scores than usual but standardisation should sort that out.
Can I ask another question as you seem less sleep-deprived and more intelligent than I feel :lol: How would the paper being easier with more high scores, mean that standardisation will sort it out? Would it not just mean that everyone doing well will just push the pass mark up?
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Which school has said that some of the maths scores were really high? Surely they shouldn't be saying things like that?
Thylacine11

Post by Thylacine11 »

Manana wrote:
Thylacine11 wrote:50- 55 % is the figure bandied about on this forum for in catchment grammars in Southend.

Can I ask another question as you seem less sleep-deprived and more intelligent than I feel :lol: How would the paper being easier with more high scores, mean that standardisation will sort it out? Would it not just mean that everyone doing well will just push the pass mark up?
This is what I am not sure about. If the average score goes up does this cause the standardised scores to cluster more, does the fact that the total marks possible this year will be less also cause the standardised scores to cluster? We need a real statistician to tell us this.
Thylacine11

Post by Thylacine11 »

To add to this I can also see a possibility of the CSSE making the maths and the English slightly easier this year to offset the loss of an easier Vr paper. ( just my speculation)
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thylacine11 wrote:To add to this I can also see a possibility of the CSSE making the maths and the English slightly easier this year to offset the loss of an easier Vr paper. ( just my speculation)
To make the scores higher?

That would back up the fact that most (I know, I know I haven't spoken to everyone who sat it!) people I know said it was easy, everyone was able to finish and the text wasn't a complete pig, a la Tess or Longitude!?
Thylacine11

Post by Thylacine11 »

Manana wrote:
Thylacine11 wrote:To add to this I can also see a possibility of the CSSE making the maths and the English slightly easier this year to offset the loss of an easier Vr paper. ( just my speculation)
To make the scores higher?

That would back up the fact that most (I know, I know I haven't spoken to everyone who sat it!) people I know said it was easy, everyone was able to finish and the text wasn't a complete pig, a la Tess or Longitude!?

Yikes Please do not refer to that Longitude paper !!!

Although I also did not like the Captain Corelli or Smallweed one !

Strangely the Tess one went down better in this household!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Yikes Please do not refer to that Longitude paper !!!

Although I also did not like the Captain Corelli or Smallweed one !

Strangely the Tess one went down better in this household!

I didn't like Captain Corelli either! The only ones I have liked have been the one about the school trip and Tobermory!

Did you have a child sitting it this year?
Thylacine11

Post by Thylacine11 »

Yes DD is having a go, bit of a long shot really but she has worked so hard she really deserves it.
Yes Tobermory was ok but I wonder if that was because she had already done it very early on ( it was the 2003 paper re hashed a bit) Liked better the Sherlock Holmes one and the Cuckoo Plant one.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thylacine11 wrote:Yes DD is having a go, bit of a long shot really but she has worked so hard she really deserves it.
Yes Tobermory was ok but I wonder if that was because she had already done it very early on ( it was the 2003 paper re hashed a bit) Liked better the Sherlock Holmes one and the Cuckoo Plant one.
Yes, Sherlock was ok. DS did the Cuckoo Plant one.

Do you think the CSSE make a conscious decision to start making the papers more accessible a couple of years ago? I don't think we've had a truly horrible one since 2011?!

The waiting is getting stressful now, I need to forget about it but can't!!