Practising what to say to DC if they don't pass...?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FlightyRachel

Re: Practising what to say to DC if they don't pass...?

Post by FlightyRachel »

Manana wrote:
We'll get a guidance sheet which will give more information about what standardised scores would have got you a place in each school in previous years. If you're in (Southend) catchment-these are obviously lower.
Thank you, that is what I thought, that we get scores and a guide. The papers were so very different this year I'm not sure how helpful the sheet will be. I'm sure all will be revealed eventually! :D
Manana

Post by Manana »

FlightyRachel wrote:
Manana wrote:
We'll get a guidance sheet which will give more information about what standardised scores would have got you a place in each school in previous years. If you're in (Southend) catchment-these are obviously lower.
Thank you, that is what I thought, that we get scores and a guide. The papers were so very different this year I'm not sure how helpful the sheet will be. I'm sure all will be revealed eventually! :D
Probably, once it's standardised, it won't matter how different the papers were last year. They'll still have the same pass mark and you should still be able to judge fairly well what it means.

I hope!
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Manana wrote:
Probably, once it's standardised, it won't matter how different the papers were last year. They'll still have the same pass mark and you should still be able to judge fairly well what it means.

I hope!
There isn't really a pass mark for ooc children (well beyond the 303 but it never gets that low down the list). They just fill up from the local list then move to the top of the ooc list, and work down 20 or so children I think. I don't think the guidance sheet was particularly accurate last year so I won't set all my hopes on it. I think you never really know, we are all on a bit of a rollercoaster! Fingers crossed that you see the number you want to see, though, on Friday, it obviously means a great deal to you.
Manana

Post by Manana »

FlightyRachel wrote:
Manana wrote:

I hope!
There isn't really a pass mark for ooc children (well beyond the 303 but it never gets that low down the list). They just fill up from the local list then move to the top of the ooc list, and work down 20 or so children I think. I don't think the guidance sheet was particularly accurate last year so I won't set all my hopes on it. I think you never really know, we are all on a bit of a rollercoaster! Fingers crossed that you see the number you want to see, though, on Friday, it obviously means a great deal to you.
I think it's Saturday, unless you know something I don't!?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Manama, where will the majority of dc from your child's primary school be educated at secondary level? The other parents surely must feel the sane way, are there really no viable local options other than grammar?
25% is scarily low, is that to do with the demographic of the area? Have you looked on RaiseOnline to see how many middle to high achievers attend the school and what their results are?
Does the school provide other options that are not listed, btec or igcse?

Obviously wishing your dc every ounce of luck, but please don't worry too much, things always have a way of sorting themselves out. Dh went to a complete sink hole upper, so bad they shut it down for good after he left as it was beyond hope, and they eventually sold the land, he has done very well in life though. He quickly caught up and in deed over took friends who went to university whilst he sat professional exams and earned money and saved for the deposit on a house whilst he did so. :D I am not suggesting your dc will not do A levels, or go to uni if they miss out on grammar, I am simply confirming guest55's certainty that "cream will always rise to the top."
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Manana wrote:
I think it's Saturday, unless you know something I don't!?
No, I know nothing, hence my earlier confusion, tbh I was only trying to be nice! For Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, whenever your postman arrives, good wishes still sent! :lol:
Manana

Post by Manana »

southbucks3 wrote:Manama, where will the majority of dc from your child's primary school be educated at secondary level? The other parents surely must feel the sane way, are there really no viable local options other than grammar?
25% is scarily low, is that to do with the demographic of the area? Have you looked on RaiseOnline to see how many middle to high achievers attend the school and what their results are?
Does the school provide other options that are not listed, btec or igcse?

Obviously wishing your dc every ounce of luck, but please don't worry too much, things always have a way of sorting themselves out. Dh went to a complete sink hole upper, so bad they shut it down for good after he left as it was beyond hope, and they eventually sold the land, he has done very well in life though. He quickly caught up and in deed over took friends who went to university whilst he sat professional exams and earned money and saved for the deposit on a house whilst he did so. :D I am not suggesting your dc will not do A levels, or go to uni if they miss out on grammar, I am simply confirming guest55's certainty that "cream will always rise to the top."
Our primary's catchment is split between two comps-one is really good-so over half the children will go there. There are two faith secondary schools-a fair few will go to those. Lots will go for sports places or drama/music places at the good comp and a few are successful. Those who are left-go to the school I mentioned. So, it really isn't most people who are in that predicament, just a minority. We just happen to be in it.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

I'm quite relieved that, whatever the result we get next weekend, it is not likely to be a black or white pass/fail. The 303 cutoff doesn't apply to us (although if she get 303 or below she won't get a place), so we will be studying the guidance sheets closely. She doesn't need to be involved in my thought process about the likelihood of her mark translating into a place.

We've talked about the sheer numbers of people taking 11+, and the limited number of places. Not getting a place is no reflection on her, just a reflection of how all those thousands of children did on the day.

We've looked at all our local comps and talked about them positively and she knows that these are the schools her primary friends will be going to.

She had a small reward for sitting the 11+ (because we were impressed with her calm and positive attitude to preparing for and sitting the exams).

She will get another small reward if she exceeds 303. Even though this will not get her a place as we are ooc for the Southend schools and ic for CCHS. It seemed like a fair and clear indicator of a good result for the purposes of earning a reward.

We will congratulate her for whatever her results are, for the effort and determination she has shown.

Then she can help us choose the order of schools we put on her LA preferences form, whether they be grammars or comps.
eipi=-1

Post by eipi=-1 »

My local comp is absolutely diabolical (I'll let you work out where I live!) so we have no other option other than the grammar. I have kept in the stress very well though and my son is oblivious to all the anxiety and pressure that I am under.
Regardless though he was rewarded on the day of the exam (afterwards!) and will be so too on the day of the results (again, regardless). His existence is infinitely more important that a god-damned 300+ score as judged by two bits of paper (exams) on one fleeting day...
Manana

Post by Manana »

eipi=-1 wrote:My local comp is absolutely diabolical (I'll let you work out where I live!) so we have no other option other than the grammar. I have kept in the stress very well though and my son is oblivious to all the anxiety and pressure that I am under.
Regardless though he was rewarded on the day of the exam (afterwards!) and will be so too on the day of the results (again, regardless). His existence is infinitely more important that a god-damned 300+ score as judged by two bits of paper (exams) on one fleeting day...
If you're in Southend, rather than Essex, it's a choice of 2!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now