Enquiry evenings - what are they for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pushymother

Re: Enquiry evenings - what are they for

Post by pushymother »

Morgan0210 wrote:Hiya,
Last year shsg confirmed that there was enough incatchment places for girls so if you selected shsg or whsg and your incatchment you were guaranteed a place at one of them! Definately worth going too x
And that is what I am hoping to hear at the meetings this year...fingers well crossed with a 307.5.....
debkeo

Post by debkeo »

pushymother wrote:
Danniburke wrote:Just phoned SHSG and just needed to tell them DD's name and how many will be attending.

Does anyone know if CCHSG do the same kind of thing?

Thanks
I assume we will find that out on Thursday with CCHS score....

Just so people are aware. WHSG said parents only and SHSG said DD is invited as well.

Just to confirm I rang up the schools to WHSG and SHSG and yes Parents only at Westcliff but DD allowed to attend at SHSG - Bit silly really as DD would have liked to have seen both schools again so she can add her own input!!!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Were the enquiry afternoons useful? Any new information given out?

Usually the Head at SHSB is very good at sharing how many in-catchment passes there were this year. Did SHSG or WHSB share this info?
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Blitz wrote:Were the enquiry afternoons useful? Any new information given out?

Usually the Head at SHSB is very good at sharing how many in-catchment passes there were this year. Did SHSG or WHSB share this info?
Unfortunately the acting head at SHSG said she didn't know about in catchment passes. She only remarked that they did not fill all in catchment passes last year.

I was hoping for the nod today, but it didn't happen. I hope the head at WHSG knows more tomorrow.....
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

We quite enjoyed today's visit to SHSG. It definitely felt more focused as everyone there was in with a real chance of a place. There was more information on the transition process. It was good to go round the school while classes were in progress (and eavesdrop a little). DD probably got more out of than I did, as she felt she was looking at the school more realistically now she knows she has passed the 11+. Lots of chat about transport. The Y8 who took us round had to put up with an hour and a half of daft questions, she was very patient and polite.

But concrete information on applications? - no there wasn't any new information.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have put out a feeler for you, but my 'quite close to a school governor' source was also none the wiser re in-catchment passes :( .

As a complete aside, DD - year 9 SHSG - commented on the uniform with a pale-ish green blazer; I have noticed girls in this uniform at various open days, but have never got round to asking which school it was. Does anyone recognise it from the description?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

WHSB's was last night, impressive, I thought. They had their new year 7s running the little tours, they all seemed very confident!

The talk was really just a walk through of the guidance sheet. So over 303 in catchment will eventually get a place at either SHSB or WHSB as long as they are on your form. OOC need over 340 to be 'highly probable', but don't be despondent if your score is within the amber or yellow bands! Mr Skelly said there were no major changes this year that would make the data from previous years unreliable.

It was worthwhile going if you are genuinely undecided, as my son is, but if you know which one you want, and can read the guidance sheet and understand how to fill in the CAF, you probably don't need to attend. Very useful if you are a bit unsure though, he took lots of questions.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

ToadMum wrote:I have put out a feeler for you, but my 'quite close to a school governor' source was also none the wiser re in-catchment passes :( .

As a complete aside, DD - year 9 SHSG - commented on the uniform with a pale-ish green blazer; I have noticed girls in this uniform at various open days, but have never got round to asking which school it was. Does anyone recognise it from the description?
Sounds like a prep blazer...My DD showed up in her state school cardigan......

I wonder why they can't tell us about in catchment passes this year? Are they trying to kill me with the stress levels?? Looks like a nail biter until March now.............
meerme

Post by meerme »

I understood the enquiry evenings were for the school to make a final sales pitch to convince you to put them down as your first preference ... and for parents to raise questions that may not have been covered in more "general" advice and comments earlier.

We attended SHSG yesterday and the former definitely proved true - the head made a good case for what she feels makes SHSG the best choice. However, the questions from parents were disappointing. They all seemed to revolve around what chance their DD stood (despite the head saying in her speech that she had no idea on numbers and scores). I appreciate that for those who have their hearts set on a grammar school place this is a very important question, but I was still disappointed that there weren't any other questions. I did suggest to some worried parents that they sign up at these forums for latest info, score sharing, stats and cut off points and so on.

It was almost embarrasing to raise questions about whether the school had any plans for the International Bacc., whether the possibility of a new head teacher in the near future could mean massive changes to the school and change its very character, what emphasis the school placed on league tables e.g. whether a child who had no chance getting a C in a particular subject would be forced to drop that subject even if she loved doing it ... etc., as nobody seemed interested in anything other than the chances of getting their DD in.
Shapla

Post by Shapla »

I was at WHSB in the evening slot yesterday. Most q revolved around chances of getting in. Head did say that last year 82 places were filled from ic boys if that helps anyone. Also, he did say that anyone ic definitely has a place in either WHSB or SHSB but they have to put both down on the CAF form. This is assuming they have got 303.

It was really embarrassing when people started to leave whilst head was still speaking..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now