Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:21 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm
Posts: 4
Any thoughts on which school is a better one? We are in Catchment so travel is not an issue here. Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 60
I have a DD at SHSG and she is really happy there, she had her heart set on the school after the open evening we attended when she was in year 6 - I still to this day ask her to quantify what it was that she liked about the school and she claims it was 'just a vibe!' My husband and I liked both schools for different reasons, one obvious distinction is the emphasis on sport at SHSG. This is not to say if you don't like sport you won't get on there, it's just that the school has a fantastic reputation nationally so the extra curricular opportunities for sport are brilliant. The other main distinction is that WHSG perhaps has a science/maths and engineering(I believe ) status whereas SHSG is a Language specialist school. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to personal msg me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm
Posts: 4
Thanks very much "MoatMum" - I may well pick your brains if you don't mind. We are attending the enquiry evenings next week, so hopefully that might shed some more light? We are veering more towards SHSG but we are not 100% yet :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 60
No problem, anytime.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm
Posts: 710
DD has chosen SHSG despite living closer to WHSG.

My friends with children already at Westcliff-in a variety of year groups-say that the pressure there feels high. Lots of homework, compared to sons they have at Southend Boys, some rather OTT punishments and unnecessarily strict. The friends with girls at Southend seem to speak about it more positively, saying it's a little more laid-back. The girls there seem to generally love their teachers and there is quite a lot of friendly banter between them.

That's what my DD has based her choice on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 371
Manana wrote:
DD has chosen SHSG despite living closer to WHSG.

My friends with children already at Westcliff-in a variety of year groups-say that the pressure there feels high. Lots of homework, compared to sons they have at Southend Boys, some rather OTT punishments and unnecessarily strict. The friends with girls at Southend seem to speak about it more positively, saying it's a little more laid-back. The girls there seem to generally love their teachers and there is quite a lot of friendly banter between them.

That's what my DD has based her choice on!


More homework than Southend Boys??? Wow....my son gets 3 pieces a night, he just started year 7....how much do Westcliff get then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm
Posts: 710
StephiB wrote:
Manana wrote:
DD has chosen SHSG despite living closer to WHSG.

My friends with children already at Westcliff-in a variety of year groups-say that the pressure there feels high. Lots of homework, compared to sons they have at Southend Boys, some rather OTT punishments and unnecessarily strict. The friends with girls at Southend seem to speak about it more positively, saying it's a little more laid-back. The girls there seem to generally love their teachers and there is quite a lot of friendly banter between them.

That's what my DD has based her choice on!


More homework than Southend Boys??? Wow....my son gets 3 pieces a night, he just started year 7....how much do Westcliff get then?


DS is now in Y8 at SHSB and the homework is definitely not as much. I get the impression that it's a lot, all the time and quite time-consuming. Maybe they're exaggerating though!?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 am
Posts: 12
My DD is in year 10 at WHSG (ooc) and has had a wonderful time so far. She doesn't ever appear to feel stressed or pressurised when I ask her. Every day her response to my question 'how was your day?' always starts with either 'good, really good' or 'it was so funny today...' The girls seem to have a very good rapport with the staff and there is always plenty going on that they can get involved with. All of year 9 do their Bronze D of E, it's part of their curriculum. My DD also participated in the year 9 World Challenge trip to Iceland this summer. I've also heard good things about SHSG from a couple of friends, both are very good schools so it's a nice choice to have.
Incidentally my son is in year 8 at WHSB and the homework at the start of year 7 was huge! they seem to hit them hard at first and then it eases off a bit. He's really happy there, he's a sporty boy and WHSB also offers plenty of opportunity to participate in teams and clubs.

Good luck with your choice, both schools are excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3818
Location: Chelmsford and pleased
The difference could be between boys and girls too. Boys tend to just 'do' their homework. Girls tend to 'perfect' their homework! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4605
Location: Essex
moved wrote:
The difference could be between boys and girls too. Boys tend to just 'do' their homework. Girls tend to 'perfect' their homework! :lol:


Mmmm...

According to DD - year 9 at SHSG - she found a note saying 'See Me' on her last effort for Food Tech :roll:

The teacher concerned may be relieved to know that DD is not thinking of choosing the subject as her 'creative' for GCSE :lol: .

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016