Essex LA Secondary school Allocation criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deepu

Essex LA Secondary school Allocation criteria

Post by deepu »

According to Department of Education, school admissions code 2006 https://www.education.gov.uk/consultati ... nsCode.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
section 3.29 & 3.31- there are 2 coordinated schemes for the Local Authorities for admission process -
1. "First Preference first" coordinated scheme (Broadly, applications are only sent only to the first preference school and if negative then sent to the next one, if available)
2. "Equal Preference" coordinated scheme.(Applications are sent to all the preference schools)

Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire LA confirm that they follow the "Equal Preference" coordinated scheme, (which I think is the right way), but I couldn't find anything on the Essex LA.

Can someone please confirm or comment on the Essex LA allocation process.
ToadMum

Re: Essex LA Secondary school Allocation criteria

Post by ToadMum »

deepu wrote:According to Department of Education, school admissions code 2006 https://www.education.gov.uk/consultati ... nsCode.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
section 3.29 & 3.31- there are 2 coordinated schemes for the Local Authorities for admission process -
1. "First Preference first" coordinated scheme (Broadly, applications are only sent only to the first preference school and if negative then sent to the next one, if available)
2. "Equal Preference" coordinated scheme.(Applications are sent to all the preference schools)

Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire LA confirm that they follow the "Equal Preference" coordinated scheme, (which I think is the right way), but I couldn't find anything on the Essex LA.

I think you are a little behind, Admissions Code-wise - this one was replaced in 2012. Admissions authorities now all have to administer the 'equal preference' system. Schools are not permitted to know where you ranked them on your CAF when considering your application for place and must judge the application only according to their published admissions criteria.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
deepu

Re: Essex LA Secondary school Allocation criteria

Post by deepu »

ToadMum wrote:
deepu wrote:According to Department of Education, school admissions code 2006 https://www.education.gov.uk/consultati ... nsCode.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you are a little behind, Admissions Code-wise - this one was replaced in 2012. Admissions authorities now all have to administer the 'equal preference' system. Schools are not permitted to know where you ranked them on your CAF when considering your application for place and must judge the application only according to their published admissions criteria.
Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated. I had gone through the 2012 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it wasn't clear to me (I had deleted it off my original post).