CRGS Enquiry Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: CRGS Enquiry Evening

Post by KB »

Tell her that CRGS consistently out ranks KEGS in league tables and Oxbridge entrants. It has been top of the A level league for many years.

This does not necessarily mean it is a better school than KEGS but it should demonstrate to someone who is worried about prestige that CRGS is pretty 'hot' in that respect.
Most Oxbridge colleges will be as aware of CRGS as they are KEGS,as will tutors at Imperial and UCL

Very glad you and DH and DS are all agreed on your choice.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

KB wrote:Tell her that CRGS consistently out ranks KEGS in league tables and Oxbridge entrants. It has been top of the A level league for many years.

This does not necessarily mean it is a better school than KEGS but it should demonstrate to someone who is worried about prestige that CRGS is pretty 'hot' in that respect.
Most Oxbridge colleges will be as aware of CRGS as they are KEGS,as will tutors at Imperial and UCL

Very glad you and DH and DS are all agreed on your choice.
I tried that but she threw back that future employers will rate KEGS higher and I said I think she thinks that purely because she's always been from the Chelmsford area and i'm sure outside of the Chelmsford bubble employers will have high regards for other Grammar Schools. I also pointed out that by the time he's looking for a job they'll be more interested in which Uni he went to :lol: I think she's just being snobby. From the results I've seen there's no reason why CRGS shouldn't be as highly regarded as KEGS by everyone.
jbmum

Post by jbmum »

Yes, it is because your mum is from Chelmsford. We moved down from up north specifically for CRGS but had never heard of KEGS, also there is a boy in my son's year whose parents came from the USA (dad is a lecturer at Essex) specifically for his son to go to CRGS with a private school as the back-up. The fact that CRGS does so much better than all other state schools other than, I believe one of the Girls' Royal Grammars, at getting Oxbridge places means uni admissions tutors must have a very good impression of the school and this will probably be same of employers.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

jbmum wrote:Yes, it is because your mum is from Chelmsford. We moved down from up north specifically for CRGS but had never heard of KEGS, also there is a boy in my son's year whose parents came from the USA (dad is a lecturer at Essex) specifically for his son to go to CRGS with a private school as the back-up. The fact that CRGS does so much better than all other state schools other than, I believe one of the Girls' Royal Grammars, at getting Oxbridge places means uni admissions tutors must have a very good impression of the school and this will probably be same of employers.
Thanks for that jbmum :D I really didn't want to be made to feel bad about my decision and ultimately I let my son choose so i'm pleased that it is just because of the Chelmsford bubble she feels that way.
chinners

Post by chinners »

Nikkibeak wrote:
jbmum wrote:Yes, it is because your mum is from Chelmsford. We moved down from up north specifically for CRGS but had never heard of KEGS, also there is a boy in my son's year whose parents came from the USA (dad is a lecturer at Essex) specifically for his son to go to CRGS with a private school as the back-up. The fact that CRGS does so much better than all other state schools other than, I believe one of the Girls' Royal Grammars, at getting Oxbridge places means uni admissions tutors must have a very good impression of the school and this will probably be same of employers.
Thanks for that jbmum :D I really didn't want to be made to feel bad about my decision and ultimately I let my son choose so i'm pleased that it is just because of the Chelmsford bubble she feels that way.
Thanks everyone.... DH did not need much convincing, thank God! CRGS was our first choice... Thanks for the PMs as well. I feel we made the right decision. Now to explore travel options....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now