SHSG or WHsG?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ellen04

SHSG or WHsG?

Post by Ellen04 »

Hi. New to forum. Can someone help? Our daughter is OOC for Southend schools but scored high enough to be in the green zone for both. She most definitely prefers SHSG but I get the impression it is regarded as the second choice and that WHSG is better?
Can anyone offer their thoughts as to this?
Why is WHSG seen as the better school?
Any problems with SHSG?
Taximum

Re: SHSG or WHsG?

Post by Taximum »

Hi, dd currently year 9 at shsg, we arein catchment and looked at both whsg and shsg. Decided that shsg suited dd better - she felt at home from the first visit to the school. We have not regretted the move, she is absolutely loving her time there. She is constantly encouraged to be the best she can in everything, and (I hope this doesn't sound too cheesey), to see the standard of work she produces and the results she achieves, is a real credit to the school. There is a real sense of pride from belonging to the shsg family from the first time you walk through the door as a student. I am sure whsg is fairly similar, both are excellent schools, it just comes to which one suits your dd better, and maybe which journey will be easier for your dd.
Ellen04

Post by Ellen04 »

Thank you for your reply. Lovely to hear such praise from a SHSG mum and appreciate your time to reply. Hopefully will get a few more replies.
kebabeater

Post by kebabeater »

We are also considering both SHSG and WHSG for our DD. Both schools are excellent and so I am struggling to choose which one to put first. I understand that at WHSG, the girls choose their GCSE options during Year 8, which seems very early to me. Also they are able to take a number of GCSEs early – I do not fully understand the benefit of this and whether this means that they get to take additional GCSE’s or start their A level courses early. Does anyone have any information/experience about this.

Also looking at the results at GCSE and A Level, SHSG seems to score marginally higher A*-B grades particularly in the sciences at GCSE level but seems to struggle relative to WHSG at A level where the results are less strong. Any thoughts?
Dotty12345

Post by Dotty12345 »

We are OOC for all schools and my DD is in the green zone for both Southend schools, we have been to both open evenings and result meetings. Our first choice is ColCHS but DD is In Amber zone, so not we need to consider the choice for Southend. We are plumping for shsg over whsg. it just a feeling we have got from the visits my DD was much more enthusiastic about Shsg.. She did not warm to the head of westcliff, I understand they are both excellent schools but feel that shsg is a better fit.

good luck x
spgunu

Post by spgunu »

Hiii
Can anybody advise, what is the lowest score for OOC on 2nd march day last year in SHSG and WHSG .
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

329 WHSG
322 SHSG

Waiting lists went down to 317 WHSG and 314 SHSG due to the extra class being added at WHSG.