Travel options to SHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Travel options to SHSG

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, I thought that consortium buses were just consortium buses as well, the '8xx' ones anyway, but I've never really thought about it. We only live a couple of miles away from the boys' school and about four from the girls' (DD and DS1 get the train as it is cheaper and more convenient) and the public bus service or walking is the only option. Both First and Arriva run 'school' buses (822/?821 which wends its merry way from Canvey to SHSG via nearly all the Southend secondary schools and the 407 which goes down Southchurch Boulevard instead of the eastern stretch of Woodgrange Drive for one journey respectively) but they are definitely normal public services.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ocobrown

Post by ocobrown »

Our DS started out on a school bus, but unfortunately had problems with bullying. The bus company were sympathetic but unable to do anything as DS unwilling to give names and only adult on bus was the driver, who cannot drive and referee the kids at the same time
He transferred to public transport - train and bus - after just one half term and is so much happier. Main difference for me is that there is a mix of adults and school children travelling together, and it feels safer because of that. Plus the big advantage of flexibility to attend before and after school activities.
I just wanted to highlight that in my opinion there are up and downsides of both school and public transport. For us the public transport option has proved to be the better and the one we are all more comfortable with.
burg87

Post by burg87 »

ocobrown wrote:Our DS started out on a school bus, but unfortunately had problems with bullying.
Thanks for that ocobrown, its something I hadn't considered. I'm actually much happier with the thought of dd on public transport now, especially as the train is so much quicker.