CRGS Induction

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: CRGS Induction

Post by KB »

Parent pay only started this term. Currently not for school meals but its early days.
fausto

Post by fausto »

Nikkibeak - congratulations !

Coes is an amazing shop, I love it and the CRGS uniform list is not overly expensive new, however DO NOT BUY A LAB COAT ! It was a moment of huge pride for my son to get kitted out there, parking is available at the back of the shop and the staff are brilliant. Do remember they also have an extensive sports equipment department too.

The CRGS Parents Association run the second hand school uniform shop and, having volunteered in there myself, can tell you it is full of some real bargains ! The games top and blazer both come to mind immediatley. Many parents donate items so all the proceeds go back into the school but you can also sell stuff there and get a % so do keep that in mind.

You can buy white shirts, black trousers and black socks from any high st shop, just name them. They can have whatever bag and coat they like. You will need to source the tie, jumper, blazer, house pe top, games kit. I sized my son up and bought new first time, he's not outgrown a thing yet and is very tall (obviously you couldn't see his hands popping out of his blazer on day one but there you go !)

The Parent Pay is for trips but you can use credit cards to pay for it which helps with spreading the burden.

The Parents Info Evening was brilliant last year. As we entered we recieved a pack telling us what House our son was in and what form. I made notes and will summarise briefly - arrangements for induction day were included in the pack, there was info on lunch money for that day (make sure he has £4), there was a uniform list, school policies list.

On the very first day of term in September they need to be in class at 8.50am, after that they are marked late. On that day pupils will be met at the entrances. From day 1 they will need writing equipment, a suitable bag and their games kit (in September it will be rugby kit). The school makes concessions for the Year 7's to get to the dining hall first to begin with and they all congregate in "small close". The school dinners are mostly split into three sections - salad and sandwiches, soup area and chef's choice (the main meal).

In the current Year 7 they have been on a theatre trip, zoo trip, cinema trip and I believe a modern languages day trip to France might be coming up.

The most important advice I was given was from the Year 7 pupils I met - "join as many clubs as you can, you make friends joining clubs, clubs can be joined and dropped (other than fencing which you pay for), have a school dinner, and DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THE DAY YOU GET IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE !"

On the Induction Day for pupils last year my son got to swim which he thought was brilliant. They were told to take sunscreen, a hat, notebook, pencil, swim kit and lunch money.

The CRGS Parents Association organised a Treasure Hunt in July for new Year 7 parents around Colchester which was fun. As KB mentioned there is also a social evening organised where the boys are dragged off to watch a DVD and the parents meet others in their year and in their houses. There is then the School's Annual Fayre and you son will have a chance to run a stall with others (he'll want to go without question), then Quiz Nights and other events, all on the updated web site.

Mistakes I have made - I bought the Lab Coat as Coes still had it on their list. I let DS have a "cool" school bag with one strap, that was evidently not going to work for him with all the massive books he brings back and forth. Oh and I thought I knew a bit about history but was sorely mistaken and I love Google even more now !
Hopefulmummy

Post by Hopefulmummy »

My DS will also start this September at CRGS. Thanks to you all - it is so nice to have all these information from this forum here.

As Nikkibeak asked, is it compulsory for all the boys to play Rugby or they can choose any other sport? The reason being my boy is cricket crazy and was wondering if they will have a choice.

@Nikkibeak: Correct me if I am wrong, I recollect from one of your posts that you live in Chelmsford? Have you reserved the coach place yet? Not too sure what the process is but do you know which is better - First Bus or Stephensons?
fausto

Post by fausto »

Hopefulmummy - 1st term rugby, 2nd term football.. with some cross country, perhaps 2 weeks of hockey, 3rd term cricket.
Hopefulmummy

Post by Hopefulmummy »

fausto wrote:Hopefulmummy - 1st term rugby, 2nd term football.. with some cross country, perhaps 2 weeks of hockey, 3rd term cricket.
WoW - sounds interesting!
KB

Post by KB »

Athletics & swimming in summer term during PE as well.

He'll be popular in the summer if he's keen on cricket but rugby is THE winter activity, with lots of competitive matches if they are keen. Although in recent years the school football teams have done quite well.
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

I had same questions in my mind, so many thanks for this thread and all the info. My son is over the moon and cannot wait to visit the school as well, now that he knows for sure he will be joining it. So I would also look into the open events etc. You would not believe how many times I logged in to the eadmission website to make sure that its showing the offer is "accepted" and not "declined" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would look forward to receive info pack from school.
KB

Post by KB »

Sat 21st March
1pm till 4.30
Science fair in school
Open to public

Certainly worth a visit if your DS wants to see the school and get a feel for things.
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

Wow! DS will be so excited!! Definitely we will be attending that. Many thanks for the info KB.
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

Hi all,

Can I ask the average cost for the school meal please?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now