Semi-selectives - anyone going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Semi-selectives - anyone going?

Post by ToadMum »

Twinkle-Belle wrote:Hi Optimisticmum,

Yes we did the 11 plus but we are looking at the independent option as a back up since DS is still on the waiting list for SHSB.

We hope he gets in bc the indie will put us out of pocket :(

We are thinking about approaching King John if we can or as another option for the younger DS.
I'm confused - are we talking about a current applicant? Did he take the King John test for 2015 entry? If he didn't, you have zero chance of a place as a late entrant unless he is a sibling and you live on Shipwright's Drive, I would think.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Yes we did the 11 plus but we are looking at the independent option as a back up since DS is still on the waiting list for SHSB.

We are thinking about approaching King John if we can or as another option for the younger DS.
Hi Twinkle-Belle

We got offered KJS .....we are looking at the waiting lists and exploring other options such as mid year exams or the 13 plus. I did research the school a little before the exams and it is Ofsted outstanding as you said. Sounds like a great school from some of the news paper articles I've read. We do not have any great comps in our area and we did not sit the indies because it would put us out of pocket which is a great shame because the private school exams are so much easier to pass. I did look into the Cecil Jones and Thomas Moore etc and found what Toadmum said to be true about the Ofsted report made the school unrecognisable :(

CCHS was once a super selective, at least it was when my dd took the exam in 2010, she is now in year 10...(phew, time sure does fly!). It's funny how the Westcliffe and Southend grammars are viewed to be inferior....due to the sheer numbers sitting the 11 plus now, the view from where I live is that you are lucky to get one of those cherished places. So, we could also be about to experience both sides of the coin....

Optimisticmom
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

ToadMum wrote:

I'm confused - are we talking about a current applicant? Did he take the King John test for 2015 entry? If he didn't, you have zero chance of a place as a late entrant unless he is a sibling and you live on Shipwright's Drive, I would think.
Yes, Toadmom could be right as the KJS is overtly subscribed to. I know people who live I/C and didn't get in and plenty who did the O/C exam who are on the waiting list. But there is no harm in giving them a call to see what they have to say for themselves.

Optimisticmom
AAE3

Post by AAE3 »

Hi all
Can anyone advice please - I assume Benfleet is the nearest train station to KJS? How do most kids get to school from the station, checking on google map suggests apprx 40min walk from station to school, do the kids take a bus? if so which one(s) please. Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

AAE3 wrote:Hi all
Can anyone advice please - I assume Benfleet is the nearest train station to KJS? How do most kids get to school from the station, checking on google map suggests apprx 40min walk from station to school, do the kids take a bus? if so which one(s) please. Thanks
Where is your DC travelling from? Most King John kids are relatively local and either walk or get the bus to school. I know pupils from Leigh and Westcliff who go there but as far as I know they all get the bus along London Road rather than get the train because the time saved is more than cancelled out by the distance from Benfleet station at the other end.

Off the top of my head, the buses coming up from Canvey / Benfleet station are the 27 and 21 - both run by First. You really do not want to walk from Benfleet station to the school - forget everything you have been told about Essex being flat :shock:

I'm fairly sure I've replied to someone else about travel to King John before, BTW, possibly last year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
AAE3

Post by AAE3 »

Thanks for responding Toadmum,
Coming from afar actually Thurrock, not a great deal of choice around hence the need to look yonder.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

AAE3 wrote:Thanks for responding Toadmum,
Coming from afar actually Thurrock, not a great deal of choice around hence the need to look yonder.
Did you consider Gateway (are you in catchment.?) - I am curious about the Gateway schools as the HT of the primary school was a much-loved and respected KS2 teacher at our children's primary school in Leigh on Sea until he ran off to set up a free school :evil:

(We still love and respect him of course - it's the running off that the children objected to :( ).
AAE3

Post by AAE3 »

Gateway ke! - do you mean the one in Tilbury? funny enough that's the catchment school for where we live, however we didn't give it a first let alone 2nd thought. Following your response though out of curiosity I had a look at their latest (and earlier) Ofsted report and surprise surprise :shock: :o rated outstanding! ... at this point I remain unconvinced by the report :| I know that sounds ever so snotty :oops: but hey....
Twinkle-Belle

Post by Twinkle-Belle »

optimisticmom wrote:

Hi Twinkle-Belle

We got offered KJS .....we are looking at the waiting lists and exploring other options such as mid year exams or the 13 plus. I did research the school a little before the exams and it is Ofsted outstanding as you said. Sounds like a great school from some of the news paper articles I've read. We do not have any great comps in our area and we did not sit the indies because it would put us out of pocket which is a great shame because the private school exams are so much easier to pass. I did look into the Cecil Jones and Thomas Moore etc and found what Toadmum said to be true about the Ofsted report made the school unrecognisable :(

CCHS was once a super selective, at least it was when my dd took the exam in 2010, she is now in year 10...(phew, time sure does fly!). It's funny how the Westcliffe and Southend grammars are viewed to be inferior....due to the sheer numbers sitting the 11 plus now, the view from where I live is that you are lucky to get one of those cherished places. So, we could also be about to experience both sides of the coin....

Optimisticmom
We are considering the In year exams too as an option if we decide to put him in the local comp rather than the indie.

Talk about 'semi-selectives' Southend schools, I don't know why people ever viewed southend grammars as inferior in the past. I feel they were just not well informed and they were not as easily accessible by people coming from London, whereas, Chelmsford was nearer hence the over subscription and over rating.

You're lucky you got in to St John's at least. From what I hear, it's similar to Cooper's in Upminster.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

AAE3 wrote:Gateway ke! - do you mean the one in Tilbury? funny enough that's the catchment school for where we live, however we didn't give it a first let alone 2nd thought. Following your response though out of curiosity I had a look at their latest (and earlier) Ofsted report and surprise surprise :shock: :o rated outstanding! ... at this point I remain unconvinced by the report :| I know that sounds ever so snotty :oops: but hey....
Very funny!!! AAE3 who are you responding to with Gateway ke??? lol!!

That made me crack up!! hahaha!

Optimisticmom
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now