Raw v Standardised Scores-2015 intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
debbieevans8

Raw v Standardised Scores-2015 intake

Post by debbieevans8 »

Hi - Being new to all this (my son is due to sit 11+ this September) I am wondering if anybody is willing to post a breakdown of raw scores ( xx/60 Maths, xx/60 English) along with standardised scores for last Septembers Exam?

This would help me greatly when looking at past papers - he seems to be doing OK but I have no idea how his raw scores would translate to standardised scores :shock: ??

Many thanks!
ToadMum

Re: Raw v Standardised Scores-2015 intake

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at any given year's results will give you a rough idea, but the standardisation user the cohort sitting each year, not a set national sample.

Take a look at the results thread for last September's exam; people posted both raw marks for the two papers as well as their standardised score.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

As Toadmum sais the standardised score will change each year as in any given year the English paper could be harder than the Maths paper (or vice versa) meaning that each 1 mark on the harder paper will be worth more in the standardised score.

If you look in the scores each year there are usually towards the end of the thread some posts by Aang who manages to work out the standardisation and say how each of the papers were weighted. I spent a long time checking my DS scores back to previous years and I can definitely say it is not worth comparing back past 2015 entry papers as it comes out very differently having only 2 papers.

The easiest check is to get your child to complete the 2015 papers and then compare their score to the 2015 scores. There is bound to be somebody who scored similarly and most people have posted their raw and standardised scores and whether or not they got in. This should give you a good indication of how much work you have left to do with your DC.

Good Luck :D
fausto

Post by fausto »

Great idea Nikkibeak.. DS2 will have to sit the 2015 paper .. was thinking of saving that treat !

DS1's raw scores when he sat it were a real suprise - 2013 paper - I always presumed he'd nail the VR and Maths and do poorly in the English, but he upped his game in the English.
debbieevans8

Post by debbieevans8 »

ToadMum wrote:Looking at any given year's results will give you a rough idea, but the standardisation user the cohort sitting each year, not a set national sample.

Take a look at the results thread for last September's exam; people posted both raw marks for the two papers as well as their standardised score.
Thanks ToadMum - can you direct me to that link - my son has done the 2015 paper and the raw marks v standardised for last Sept is exactly what I was after - but I don't see it??? :?
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Here you go :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=39345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
debbieevans8

Post by debbieevans8 »

Thank you - you're a star!! I don't know why I couldn't find it :oops:
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

debbieevans8 wrote:Thank you - you're a star!! I don't know why I couldn't find it :oops:
Probably because it says 2014 scores but it is 2015 intake :)

Best of luck in September...
aang

Post by aang »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=39496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has the details for 2014 raw and standardised scores for 2015 entry.