taking time off school for holidays cchs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Proudmum78

taking time off school for holidays cchs

Post by Proudmum78 »

Hi can anyone please confirm whether taking kids out of school during term time is a definite no no. I have managed this all throughout primary but now I'm thinking going to secondary it's probably not going to be possible. Has anyone any experience with the reprocussions of taking the kids out? Many thanks all.

I have three children 2 not at school until next September 2016 so was thinking of going away next June July time
Guest55

Re: taking time off school for holidays cchs

Post by Guest55 »

Schools aren't allowed to authorise holidays except in 'exceptional circumstances' ... most schools don't allow it at all these days.

https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

I can't imagine a school authorising it for the reasons you give but also it would be disruptive for the pupil even at the end of term.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

June is the middle of the Summer term. All sorts of exciting things will be going on and she won't want to go and miss them. She would also have a lot of lessons to catch up on and possibly miss exams that will stream for Y8 as in our school. It won't be authorised and the school won't be happy with you. I would strongly recommend not doing this. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have a look at the Attendance and Punctuality policy on the CCHS website. I think you will find your question answered there. I'm actually quite surprised that your primary school has authorised term time holidays, particularly in more recent years since the rules were tightened up.

Apart from exams, this time of year brings events such as open evenings, which year 7s are usually involved in (may be quite different at CCHS but at SHSB all the year 7s are expected to act as guides or subject helpers), concerts, sports fixtures etc, all part of the rounded school experience.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I have a son in year 8 in a different area. He has stopped having music lessons at school because even missing even one lesson per week was really disruptive.
I haven't heard of anyone taking their children out of either primary or secondary school for holidays for many years now since the rules tightened up.
Really surprised to hear there are primaries that still allow it.
My advice would be not to do it. The school won't like it and your child will get behind. Two things you don't want to happen.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Daogroupie wrote:June is the middle of the Summer term. All sorts of exciting things will be going on and she won't want to go and miss them. She would also have a lot of lessons to catch up on and possibly miss exams that will stream for Y8 as in our school. It won't be authorised and the school won't be happy with you. I would strongly recommend not doing this. DG

And I would add, if there was 'carte Blanche' to do this, and out of a class of 24, 16 decided to take a couple of weeks in June, can you imagine the disruption? It's only 'ok, no big hassle for the school' because those who DO take school time holidays are having the classroom maintained by the majority of us who DON'T.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now