Essex Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

Also meant to say that we are out of catchment so this was not an influence on the decision.

Post by Guest »

snap!!, son no1 sat essex 11+ last yr and sucessfully got into shsb. He really enjoys it there. NOW it's son no2 turn, like yourselfs looked at IPS vr and maths plus nfer however ENGLISH IS WHERE WE'VE COME STUCK .
unlike son no1, no2 doesn't like reading and not as good vocab,
and has the attitude " not more 11+ work!"
I GUESS THEY ARE ALL A LITTLE BORED NOW AND JUST WANT TO GET IT ALL OVER
Karen

Post by Karen »

Bwinkie wrote:I liked both SHSB & WHSB, but my gut instinct was Southend would be better for my son. However, the final descision was his and he put Southend first too! So Mum's do get some things right occasionally :lol:

Also we have a teacher who lives opposite who has been happy to answer any questions about the School.

I too have heard good reports about the new head from various sources.
The new head at SHSB was the deputy head at KEGS. He was rated very highly there. We met him on the tour of KEGS last year and were impressed. Does he still have that great taste in ties?! :lol:

Post by Guest »

Karen wrote: The new head at SHSB was the deputy head at KEGS. He was rated very highly there. We met him on the tour of KEGS last year and were impressed. Does he still have that great taste in ties?! :lol:
He's certainly wearing a different tie in the prospectus :o

Post by Guest »

apparently my sons says when ever he passes the boys if they are are playing football he always joins in for a quick tackle or a header. HE sound s like a good sport to me. WE had not meet him personally yet I will try to see on parents evening
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

We spoke to him at the Open Evening. He seemed very down to earth and spoke to my son not at him unlike some teachers/heads we came across on our rounds.

He is certainly keen on sports, in particular cycling.
jazzteddy

Re: Essex Boys! and crgs

Post by jazzteddy »

GillyGillyOxenPepper wrote:Where are all the posts from mums of boys in Essex - why is it the majority of postings are from mums of girls? Are the boys' mums just too shy, or maybe just too stressed...?

I have a son sitting the 11+ on the 24th and hoping to go to CRGS (Colchester Grammar) - is there anyone else like me? How are the boys getting on? Mine is very laid back, for no particularly good reason - its just me doing the worrying!
Hi GillyGillyOxenPepper, as this years 11 plus is coming up soon. I wish all the boys and girls taking the test the very best of luck with it.

My son is year 7, crgs and has enjoyed every day so far, loves rugby, the choir, the food, has made lots of new friends, it is a happy time for him. Really concentrate on the verbal reasoning it is worth 50 percent of the final mark, a good score there means a better chance even if one of the other two subjects is a weakness. The final scores are also weighted to take into account the age of the child sitting the test, so an older child needs to get more correct answers. However it really is a great school and well worth the effort and all the boys look superb in their purple blazers. Still feel so proud to see him in his uniform every morning.

Good luck :)
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Hi to all the worried mums of sons, from a worried dad of 12 months ago.

My son is in year 7 at SHSB and absolutely loving it - we are out of borough so he has a long journey and knew nobody before he started but that has not hindered him in any way.

He loves the lessons, his classmates, the teachers and all the extra-curricular stuff (he's joined the concert band and got a part in the school play).

Mr Bevan (he's actually a PhD but doesn't seem to use the Dr title which fits with his unpretentious character) seems to be a brilliant catch for the school. Mr Frampton (also a previous deputy head at KEGS) was good, but I think things will get even better.

All the boys grammar schools in Essex are great and I don't think you'll be disappointed if your son gets into any of them. We have friends with boys at KEGS and WHSB and they're loving life there too!

Take care and good luck in the exam.

Shrimps

PS - I'll be back more frequently next year as it's our daughter's turn!
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Shrimpergarry. It's lovely to hear from you and that your son is enjoying his new school. You are right about all the grammars being great. The only complaint about KEGS is that there are not enough hours in the day for everything he wants to do. He is having a great time.

Good luck for next year, too!

K
DW

Post by DW »

I thought that in Essex the results are not weighted according to birth date?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now