Decision time !!!! / Stress !!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ESSC

Decision time !!!! / Stress !!!

Post by ESSC »

On the 2nd March the news for our family was not good and Kegs Southend and Westcliff were all Schools we were not given places for....was very hard to take as on the day of the exam he came out full of confidence and felt it was the best he had ever done and was very positive........We did though hold out hope that maybe a place would come up on the reserve list, but got another shock this week when the results came through...Eng 26/50 Maths 24/40 VR 61/90.....Not disastrous, but when getting constant 80 - 90 % in practice papers did come as a shock.....
The main thing is he tried his best and on the day it just did not happen and trying your best is all you can ask for our of your Children.....

He did though pass the Brentwood exam and we now have to make the tough decision to whether to try and afford the fees or send him to local comp School.........

Any advice from people on the site would be appreciated...

Thanks.
confused2

comp or private?

Post by confused2 »

We have exactly the same things going on in our house. My daughter missed the slot for Colchester County High after lots of successful practice papers.On the day she just didn't do it, you have to move on, can't keep thinking why etc. its happened, onwards and upwards. But.....now where, useless comp up the road or private an hour away? Who knows whats best, be crippled financially for a brilliant education? or comp with no money worries, and maybe a good education at the end of it all? I wish I was a fortune teller, but sadly no one can help with this one. I hope you come to the right decision and I hope we do too.

Post by Guest »

Just a little story about a friend of mine. Her daughter didn't get the school of choice a few years ago and they worried about whether to remortgage their house, or send her to a very poor local comprehensive. They opted for the comprehensive because she was the eldest and they had other children to consider.

She has done exceptionally well at the school. She was a real favourite because she did so well - level 8 in maths Sats and level 7s in everything else. She went on to pass all of her GCSEs at A and A*. She really was the school "boff" and won school prizes, etc, which she may not have done at grammar school. When she had completed her GCSEs, the grades were so good that she got a place at the local grammar to do her A levels, which she is doing now. In fact, she has done so well that the family has sent all of the other children to the same comp and haven't worried about the 11+.

The message is that your child can still do well, you just need to encourage him/her and carry on the good work into their teenage years, which I am sure you will do.
Confused Dad

Post by Confused Dad »

Anonymous wrote:She really was the school "boff" and won school prizes, etc, which she may not have done at grammar school. When she had completed her GCSEs, the grades were so good that she got a place at the local grammar to do her A levels, which she is doing now.

The message is that your child can still do well, you just need to encourage him/her and carry on the good work into their teenage years, which I am sure you will do.
Totally agree. Self-confidence is the most important in one's life. I am now worrying about this, though my child just got top level scores in a grammar.
jen

essex

Post by jen »

totally agree. Daughter has passed 11+ with flying colours, and we are refusing place at grammar as she is underconfident, and needs to be 'cherished' She'll go to good comp. and, hopefully will do well. It's hard refusing grammar place, though! :oops:

Re: essex

Post by Guest »

jen wrote:totally agree. Daughter has passed 11+ with flying colours, and we are refusing place at grammar as she is underconfident, and needs to be 'cherished' She'll go to good comp. and, hopefully will do well. It's hard refusing grammar place, though! :oops:

Please don't take offence but not sure I understand this. Why did she sit the 11+? I am only asking from the point of view of the children that really wanted a grammar school place but failed to gain a place. They may now be offered the chance because of your refusal but have had to go through the disappointment of thinking they failed. If she is that bright, she might gain in confidence in the grammar. My son was very shy etc, but has really thrived at his grammar school.
Essex Girl

responses

Post by Essex Girl »

ESSC - Which comprehensive would your son attend (if you dont mind saying). This factor might be relevant to advice given.

Jen, I agree with Guest. Why on earth did your daughter take the 11+ if she wasn't going to take a grammar school place if offered. I thought the new system was going to alleviate the problem of parents who did this. In the old system, you got your comprehensive/secondary modern offer before the 11+ results and any offer of a grammar school place came out. In this way, children held on to comp/sec mod offers and only released when grammar school places were offered. Now, we have a system where every child is supposedly offered only one school. When you filled in the form did you reply "yes" to your child taking the 11+ but then put a comp as first choice or did you actually put a grammar school first on your list. Because if you did, I'm surprised that the good comp has a space for her.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Ditto what Essex girl said. I'm confused too. :?
ESSC

Post by ESSC »

Billericay...
ESSC

Post by ESSC »

Billericay...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now