Advice needed for borderline

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chai

Re: Advice needed for borderline

Post by Chai »

Reh wrote:
She was achieving high marks in all mocks, we are shocked as the English result was so bad. This is her strongest area, her marks have always been 80% or more in this area.

Were the mocks mainly multiple choice, which is old style CSSE papers ?

The latest exam paper, I understand, contained only two multiple choice questions. Every other question required written answers (apart from the usual vocabulary questions requiring context skills and VR).

My DD did very well in the old style papers. She also did well in the usual mocks, since they were mainly multiple choice or true / false formats, but when it came to written answers, she really struggled.
Last edited by Chai on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Chai wrote:
Reh wrote:
She was achieving high marks in all mocks, we are shocked as the English result was so bad. This is her strongest area, her marks have always been 80% or more in this area.

Were the mocks mainly multiple choice, which is old style CSSE papers ?

The latest exam paper, I understand, contained only two multiple choice questions. Every other question required written answers (apart from the usual vocabulary questions and VR).

My DD did very well in the old style papers. She also did well in the usual mocks, since they were mainly multiple choice or true / false formats, but when it came to written answers, she really struggled.
http://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?option ... &order=ASC

I must admit that I haven't seen last year's papers and our last DC took the exam in the final year of the old one, but the English familiarisation paper on the website has a lot of MC questions?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Chai

Post by Chai »

Toadmum, the 2015 paper already contained more questions requiring written answers. DD reported that the latest paper contained only 2 multiple choice questions. The sample paper, whilst it gives a flavour of what to expect, does not reflect the actual thing.
Localborderline

Post by Localborderline »

We are in a very similar situation with a boderline pass.

I've been looking at numbers of appeals from previous years and note that there are quite a few upheld. Does anyone happen to know if there is any way of finding out what the grounds for appeal were in these successful cases?

Is anyone aware of any successful appeals for borderline pass marks?

Thanks
Localborderline

Post by Localborderline »

I wondered if anyone has managed to have papers re-marked this year? Or if anyone is aware of schools re-marking in previous years? Or successful appeals? We're half a raw mark off the 303.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Localborderline wrote:I wondered if anyone has managed to have papers re-marked this year? Or if anyone is aware of schools re-marking in previous years? Or successful appeals? We're half a raw mark off the 303.
If you are that close then your paper will have already been checked/remarked.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Localborderline wrote:We are in a very similar situation with a boderline pass.

I've been looking at numbers of appeals from previous years and note that there are quite a few upheld. Does anyone happen to know if there is any way of finding out what the grounds for appeal were in these successful cases?

Is anyone aware of any successful appeals for borderline pass marks?

Thanks

All appeals are based on evidence of academic ability & to a lesser extent reasons why DC may not have performed as well as expected on the day. Most important part is the academic evidence.

have you read this : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Since the result of an appeal and the evidence that was considered in the process is personal to the appellant, I can't see anything more than 'satisfied panel of academic ability and that the case for admitting that pupil outweighed the prejudice to the school' being stated publicly.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Since the result of an appeal and the evidence that was considered in the process is personal to the appellant, I can't see anything more than 'satisfied panel of academic ability and that the case for admitting that pupil outweighed the prejudice to the school' being made public, if that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now