Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:07 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm
Posts: 141
Hi. What exactly are the enquiry visits for? Is it just if you have specific questions or is it more a further info meeting? Should I go?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:50 pm
Posts: 71
Good chance to visit the school, to get a feel of the school if not had a chance to do so in the past.

Last year at WHSG, they took us on a brief tour around the school, and gave some useful information during the HT talk about in catchment places.

At Colchs, they took a note of the score, and asked if we understood the guidance sheet, they are unable to say whether a place can be offered or not, because they do not know how many will apply.

I would go, as you never know what info they have for this year...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 am
Posts: 112
I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Open days will be held after admissions are known


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm
Posts: 141
Thank you. I've done the school tour already and I understand the guidance. I might not bother then as it's on teacher training day from the kids junior school and as Kegs is parents only I'd need a babysitter!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4584
Location: Essex
Proudmumregardless wrote:
I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Open days will be held after admissions are known


Not really worth taking time off work for, that :shock: . I don't know how that compares with CRGS's meeting two years ago or whether Southend and Westcliff have changed their formula in the meantime, but the ones we went to there in 2013 included a very informative talk, with a chance to ask questions, and tours of the schools. DS2 very nearly changed his preferences after the Westcliff 'revisit', but Southend did win out in the end.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 244
Location: Essex
ToadMum wrote:
Proudmumregardless wrote:
I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Open days will be held after admissions are known


Not really worth taking time off work for, that :shock: . I don't know how that compares with CRGS's meeting two years ago or whether Southend and Westcliff have changed their formula in the meantime, but the ones we went to there in 2013 included a very informative talk, with a chance to ask questions, and tours of the schools. DS2 very nearly changed his preferences after the Westcliff 'revisit', but Southend did win out in the end.


Yes the southend schools include tours etc and very informative


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 am
Posts: 112
pushymother wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Proudmumregardless wrote:
I've literally just come off the phone to colchs who said it's a 5min meeting to run through the guidance sheet. If you understand that then you don't need to go.

Open days will be held after admissions are known


Not really worth taking time off work for, that :shock: . I don't know how that compares with CRGS's meeting two years ago or whether Southend and Westcliff have changed their formula in the meantime, but the ones we went to there in 2013 included a very informative talk, with a chance to ask questions, and tours of the schools. DS2 very nearly changed his preferences after the Westcliff 'revisit', but Southend did win out in the end.


Yes the southend schools include tours etc and very informative


Its amazing how much it varies round the county.

The woman I spoke to said she's taken to telling people this due to the distances they have to travel. They're still happy to answer any queries though


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm
Posts: 141
Got this response from Kegs.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The afternoon is designed to help parents in final decision making regarding applications to secondary schools and to discuss 11+ results – it is not for further general information about the school.

So no need to attend unless you wish to discuss your application. Hth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enquiry Visits?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 am
Posts: 15
Speaking from prior experience of both Chelmsford CHS and KEGS, it is probably not worth taking time off work to attend the visits at those schools this time around. They do not include a tour of the school and are for parents not children and of course they cannot provide you with any further insight into whether a child with a particular score will get in than is given by the colour-coded scores sheet. KEGS last year was interesting as the head was encouraging people with scores below the previous lowest admitted score to apply (but this was simply because at that time he undoubtedly knew that KEGS would be admitting an extra form - 30 boys - in September 2015). Nothing similar would be expected at KEGS or Chelmsford CHS this time around.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016