Split from scores discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MmeOgg

Re: 2016 entry scores discussion

Post by MmeOgg »

So 45/60 is an average score? Using which definition of average?
And the only acceptable score for Maths is 100%?

And a score which guarantees your DD a place at any girls grammar in the county is unacceptable?

I can see why you have had those PMs, when you seem determined to undermine and devalue not only your DD's efforts but the efforts of all the children who have sat the 11+. Because if your DD has failed (I have no idea how you could think such a thing) then so have all the other children with green zone results. And heaven knows what you think of the children who are in amber or red.
mad?

Post by mad? »

bridgeford wrote:Girl
English: 45 (ok)
Math: 49 (awful)
Score: 358.28
OOC for all schools

Overall very disappointing. Not proud of result.
Hopefully, as they are her results, your DD will not feel this way. Either way, hopefully she will have the empathy and consideration for others not to mention it if she does. Well done to your DD.
mad?
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I think perhaps you should remember that these are 10 yr old children. I've no idea how you can think it is not acceptable to gain less than 100%. My son also got 49 on the maths paper. Yes I also believe he was capable of solving all the questions but realistically children can be worried / stressed in an exam situation and make little mistakes, especially if they feel under immense pressure from home to perform perfectly. Of course you are perfectly entitled to your opinion but if you are not happy with the standard of education throughout the uk I think you know what the answer is.
Capt Anxious

Post by Capt Anxious »

+1 !
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

I couldn't agree with you more 'SlightlystressedMum,' Most of the children taking the CSSE examination are high achievers at their primary schools and we were always under the impression the test is geared towards those children aiming for high level 5 or level 6 ( not sure how relevant these levels are nowadays !!) To suggest that the Maths CSSE test is easy is ridiculous....... I have colleagues who teach maths to A level and have suggested that some questions are on par with Year 8 Junior Maths Challenge.
herdream1

Post by herdream1 »

In my opinion, birdform has much higher expectation for her daughter, than other parents. She seems to have strong trust and belief in her daughter's ability, thus was disappointed with the score which made others happy. I see no issue in there.

I agree that children are not being provided the best education here. Primary education lacks structure and coordination between the parents and school. Aiming too high is often regarded harmful to the child, while in fact there are a large number of children who would have enjoyed working harder and achieving more with a better system and supports.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

There's nothing wrong at all with having high expectations from your kids or being disappointed with their results. However I can never imagine not being proud and even if son had failed to reach a pass mark I would still have been proud that he gave it a go even if I was disappointed in the result. I sincerely hope that the daughter is not aware of her mother's feelings, as if she is I feel very sad.
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

I was a regular to this forum and must say I owe every parent in this forum who supported me throughout my first 11 plus journey. This is a forum for all likeminded parents who want their children to sit for the 11plus, and form a strong support network. I do not this this is the right platform to criticise UK education system.

Bridgeford, keeping in mind the “freedom of speech”, which this country allows, unlike many other countries including few of those where you said education is excellent, you have got every right to praise or criticise country’s systems. But don’t think this is the right platform. You have insulted not only the parents but also undermined the effort of all tender children who sat in the 11plus exam. Openly and in public. Even if you say you did not intend to do so.

I don’t want to know your country of origin and where you did your education, but if that system produced adults with such low sensitivity and lack of respect towards others, then I really do not want my children to be part of that education system, even if it produces genius and champions. Let aside others, you insulted your own daughter’s effort and intelligence IN PUBLIC, and continuously argued in favour of it.
Funny ha!
bridgeford

Post by bridgeford »

annam2013 wrote: Bridgeford, keeping in mind the “freedom of speech”, which this country allows, unlike many other countries including few of those where you said education is excellent, you have got every right to praise or criticise country’s systems. But don’t think this is the right platform. You have insulted not only the parents but also undermined the effort of all tender children who sat in the 11plus exam. Openly and in public. Even if you say you did not intend to do so.

I don’t want to know your country of origin and where you did your education, but if that system produced adults with such low sensitivity and lack of respect towards others, then I really do not want my children to be part of that education system, even if it produces genius and champions.
I sense a deep-rooted "complex" in your comments. You are welcome in this cocoon. Whether you care about the international parity is not my problem. I am not here to hold a mirror to the UK education system. I just provided a context to my "disappointment".

That so many kids and anxious parents with high aspirations flock to ever-dwindling grammar schools is a pointer to the fact that the part of the system is broken. Otherwise why are we all bothered to congregate on this forum? Why don't we all content ourselves with nearest comprehensives (& academies), where all is so hunky-dory? [there are some great comprehensives out there, so I don't mean to generalise; the problem is more acute in lesser advantaged areas]

----

I started by only saying that I was disappointed and math score was awful. This was neither meant to sound condescending to those who scored less nor meant to disparage parents who were proud of their kid's efforts. Some of you possibly put me in your shoes and my daughter in your kid's shoe; so I can see where you come from. To each, his/her own shoe.

As I said, yardsticks are different for each and effort that went into the preparation didn't bear the expected fruit. At the risk of over-elaboration, I didn't want to inflame any one. So any inadvertent shoe-stepping is regretted.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I didn't want to inflame any one
In that case I think we can draw this to a close and lock the thread