Split from scores discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ocobrown

Re: 2016 entry scores

Post by ocobrown »

My DD got 308 last year and I was very proud of her and made sure that she knew it. 358 is, as others have stated, an excellent score and should be celebrated.

My parents chose to take this approach with me... Whatever I achieved the question was why didn't you do better. Never well done. The effect on me was long lasting - my confidence is low and I always worry that I could do better.

I hope that your DD is more resilient than me. Sounds like she will need it.
bridgeford

Post by bridgeford »

ToadMum wrote:Even if you don't actually rate said schools much.
It's not that I don't rate the CSSE schools (KEGS/CRGS/ColCHS/Southend/Westcliff are all good, possibly in that order); just that I live so far (and without the means to drive) that I can't realistically consider these schools as an option. If CEM results turn out to be dud, then I will willy-nilly have to consider moving close to one of these school. With my current residence, commute wouldn't be fair on my daughter.

Part of me also thinks that if she will barely scrape into one of the schools now (say, ColCHS), then she may (I emphasize, "may") struggle against her peers later.

ocobrown wrote:My parents chose to take this approach with me... Whatever I achieved the question was why didn't you do better. Never well done. The effect on me was long lasting - my confidence is low and I always worry that I could do better.
I am product of the same school of upbringing. It just made me hard-nosed and more competitive than I would otherwise have ended up.

Ahead of CCHS results, I am very worried (if the same "form" applies to CEM). May be, I will get the perspective in next 2-3 days.

-----

To all, I don't mean to demean the other results. Congratulations to all who manage offers in their dream schools. It's ultimately the result/offer that matters, than the score itself.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

bridgeford wrote:

Part of me also thinks that if she will barely scrape into one of the schools now (say, ColCHS), then she may (I emphasize, "may") struggle against her peers later.

With your DD's score she won't scrape into any of the CSSE schools she will romp in with one of the highest scores!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Your dc's score is 10 above mine and we are looking at a definite colchs placement. Your dd has one of the highest girls scores yet posted.

As an ex cchs student myself I can only stress how much the commutes take out of students and those with pushy parents to boot ended up very anxious and a couple had eating issues.

As a parent an ex grammar student I implore you please take it easy on the poor girl
Kace

Post by Kace »

bridgeford wrote: Score: 358.28
Overall very disappointing. Not proud of result.
I would be very proud of that kind of score. I am delighted with dd1's 352.32. Hope your dd is happy with her amazing achievement.
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

I feel I should reiterate, the scores become unimportant once the children start at senior school, as with most things in life it's what you make it. I know of a few girls who 'scrapped' in with scores in the low 300's that have gone on to 12 a stars GCSE and places at Russell a group Universities ......
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Moatmum wrote:I feel I should reiterate, the scores become unimportant once the children start at senior school, as with most things in life it's what you make it. I know of a few girls who 'scrapped' in with scores in the low 300's that have gone on to 12 a stars GCSE and places at Russell a group Universities ......
This with bells on. On the same hand I know many who got in easily who dropped out of college and uni.

This is one test taken at a young age. A small snapshot of their potential.

Bottom line is they're children. Treat them as such.
thepackhorse

Post by thepackhorse »

If the thread hijack is over :wink: can we get back to the posting of scores?

Any chance the mods could move the non-score specific comments to a new thread as whilst valuable and providing great insight :shock: they don't exactly align withthe guidelines in the original post. Obviously same rule applies to this post...!

For those yet to post, please share scores as per previous posts
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

thepackhorse wrote:Any chance the mods could move the non-score specific comments to a new thread as whilst valuable and providing great insight :shock: they don't exactly align withthe guidelines in the original post. Obviously same rule applies to this post...!
I've split the discussion out for you - let me know if there's any other posts you think should be moved.
bridgeford

Re: 2016 entry scores discussion

Post by bridgeford »

Thanks for splitting the thread. It was not my intention to hijack the main thread.

I seem to have unwittingly garnered lot of negative reactions. I even received handful of pms telling me that I most likely didn't have any kid and was just trolling.

I'm a parent doing DIY tutoring. I have no relative reference. My daughter goes to a comprehensive in a disadvantaged area; so there is no way to find out how good or average she is.

----

There are lot of people on the forum who believe that 11+ test papers are challenging. But honest fact is that math test paper (of CSSE standard) is very easy. Any top-quartile student should max the test (and that's where my expectations are). Only carelessness can result in students missing out on 60/60. I can't find an excuse for carelessness. There's nothing in the math test that KS2 student can't solve.

In absolute terms, 49/60 is a poor score in maths. No two ways about it. To end up with that score, my daughter would have made around 5 mistakes, which is inexcusable. Of the 30+ reported scores, 3-4 have reported 60/60 in maths; which only proves that it was eminently achievable.

I have a 7 year son, who can get 60/60 on CSSE math paper any day; so why can't I demand the same from my 10 year old daughter?

Note that I didn't say 45/60 in English was awful; considering that my daughter had only 2 days practice with CSSE sample tests. It is an average score.

----

If you compare the CSSE maths paper to that of City of London Girls School, St Olave's, Machester's, even Bancroft's etc., you will realise how easy it is. So what's wrong with expecting a half-decent student to get full marks in maths?

If you compare the 11+ math test paper standard with those used internationally (such as that in Singapore, HK, India etc.), you will find that it is a poor shadow. I have done extensive international benchmarking and find the numeracy standard very poor in UK (also borne by PISA reports). I don't know if this is just a product of dumbing down of curriculum over last several years. It is no small wonder that UK students struggle to shine at International Olympiad events (and those who do so, are solely self-made rather than system produced).

I, on the other hand, find the English test papers fairly challenging by international standard. So fair credit where it is due. There was a recent thread on this forum on similar topic.

I haven't been born and bred in UK, so I do look at the whole situation more objectively. I see more warts than dimples. If I have to move out of UK to another country (please don't ask me to jump right away), my kids will likely struggle with UK education.

----

For those who will end up taking up CSSE offer, congratulations to them. For me (as I explained in my earlier posts), CSSE is a back-up option. So "relatively" good score there, isn't a reason for celebration (unless CEM results turn out to be dud). 60/60 would have pleased me immensely. Not merely for bragging rights, but for feel-good factor and simple vindication of successful preparation process.

----

May be I shouldn't have expressed my disappointment in public. Everyone has different yardstick.