Pastoral/Extra Care at Southend/Westcliff Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Good3boys

Pastoral/Extra Care at Southend/Westcliff Boys

Post by Good3boys »

Can anyone please help me in identifying which boys school is best in terms of additional needs? My DS has tracking problems and sometimes has to go over things more than once. Does anyone know how supportive they are?

Feel free to personal message me.

I will be asking the schools this week myself, just wanted real experience/parents views.

Thank you
ToadMum

Re: Pastoral/Extra Care at Southend/Westcliff Boys

Post by ToadMum »

Good3boys wrote:Can anyone please help me in identifying which boys school is best in terms of additional needs? My DS has tracking problems and sometimes has to go over things more than once. Does anyone know how supportive they are?

Feel free to personal message me.

I will be asking the schools this week myself, just wanted real experience/parents views.

Thank you
SHSB employs at least one 'general' TA who works with boys who are having problems, but I'm afraid I have no personal experience of this. (If you had posted this twenty four hours earlier, I could have grilled the staff member I know 'in another life' as to exactly what his remit is, but unfortunately I will not see him now until after half term).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
wegeners01

Post by wegeners01 »

Dear shsb mums,

I have a question regarding pastoral care at shsb.
I have heard this but I do not know this as a confirmed fact that pastoral care is less at shsb, I.e, matters of bullying. I only ask as my DS will be ooc and he has a moderate degree of stammering. I am worried that he might be targeted because of the two reasons mentioned. In none of the other GS was there even a rumour of bullying. I guess I am just stressing before the last date for submitting the CAF. Any feedback would be very helpful. Thank you.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

wegeners01 wrote:Dear shsb mums,

I have a question regarding pastoral care at shsb.
I have heard this but I do not know this as a confirmed fact that pastoral care is less at shsb, I.e, matters of bullying. I only ask as my DS will be ooc and he has a moderate degree of stammering. I am worried that he might be targeted because of the two reasons mentioned. In none of the other GS was there even a rumour of bullying. I guess I am just stressing before the last date for submitting the CAF. Any feedback would be very helpful. Thank you.
My son (year 8 o/c) was bullied on the school bus in his first term at SHSB. I emailed the school one evening about it and the school had rang me before 9am the following day and sorted it the same day.
Believe me there will be bullying in all grammar schools!
wegeners01

Post by wegeners01 »

Thanks, pinkrabbit38. It is reassuring that the school responded so swiftly. I think having too much time on my hands (on leave for the half term!) is making me stressed. :lol: