Advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wegeners01

Advice please

Post by wegeners01 »

My DS is in the green for ooc SHSB and well up in the amber for WHSB. He will have to start a course of dental work, after a few months, which might go on for a couple of years. We live in Chelmsford and I was wondering how the two schools dealt with this kind of issue, my having to take him out of school, bearing in mind that it might take 2-3 hours at least if the orthodontist is in Chelmsford. It might not be possible to get after school appointments always.
Has anyone else had this kind of an issue?
Will it be better to just move to Southend and commute to Chelmsford for my work?
Any advice or insights would be helpful. Am planning to go to the schools' enquiry visits and will try and discuss this issue with the headteacher.
Good3boys

Re: Advice please

Post by Good3boys »

Wshb are fine with medical appointments, just write a letter to form tutor and copy appointment card. Boys have to find out about missed lessons and homework themselves, but think that's the same in all secondary schools?

Why not try and see how the journey goes before considering moving. Lots of boys at Whsb travel a good distance and all seem to manage.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I normally photocopy the appointment card on the letter and it has been no problem. DH takes him to Westcliff soon afterwards. In fact DS is having an appointment end of this week in the morning and another appointment end of next week during half term. A week apart treatment it seems.
Last edited by ahap on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think this is an issue for most schools, judging by the amount of metal work I see on the teeth of DDs class mates. DD reckons there's at least one girl a week in her class missing lessons due to ortho appontments.

Regardless of which school, Once you have a timetable you can see what days have lessons that are less critical (things like PE, unless they really don't want to miss it) or you can help them catch up on yourself. You can then schedule appointments so you miss less crucial lessons. It's worth asking how long they will need to have regular appointments and how frequent. This might factor in as well.

We were fortunate that DD was going to a dentist (also an othrodontist) just around the corner from us that offered appointments after school. However he then moved practice and we have to travel a far distance to see him. He offers Saturday appontments though, so again we don't miss school or work. We have gone private though.

The alternative was NHS treatment. When I looked into it, appointments were only offered in the mornings. Since I only work mornings, and at the time got paid overtime if I worked extra hours, it actually was worth paying for treatment. I didn't miss work and DD didn't miss school. Obviously most aren't in a position to go private, but for us it made sense financially, with the added bonus of no missed school.

We are now in the retainer stage, with all the difficult work now done. Appointments every 3 months.
wegeners01

Post by wegeners01 »

I had not thought about going private, but it is a great idea. I can then try to get appointments for evenings or Saturdays. Brilliant! Thank you very much for the input.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

wegeners01 wrote:I had not thought about going private, but it is a great idea. I can then try to get appointments for evenings or Saturdays. Brilliant! Thank you very much for the input.
I have no experience of the orthodontics side of thing's, but our NHS dentist is very good at offering after-school appointments and opens one Saturday a month.

As for PE being a less important lesson to miss, be aware that if you opt for SHSB and your DS misses some sessions which count towards assessments, he will be expected to make them up (8am / lunchtime cross-country runs etc). It shouldn't be a problem if you explain to the school in advance - DS1 had two lots of minor surgery whist at the school and they were very good about it - and take advantage of any appointments you are offered which minimise disruption.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bentham

Post by Bentham »

DD in year 10 at WHSG with orthodontist in Broomfield for 2 of her years there. We always went for early appointments and holidays when we could schedule around them. School always very understanding as we have found on all matters.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now